IOS4 Iphone 3G Win 7 64 bit - Has anyone actually upgraded with these?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phelly, Jun 23, 2010.

1. phelly macrumors newbie

I've scanned various forums and seem to see a pattern.
    Upgrading to IOS 4 is generally slow - that's fine.
    However a large number of people are finding that the back-up takes more like days, rather than hours. And before the backup complete's - it fails.

So has anyone actually managed to upgrade with: -
    IPhone 3G
    Window 7 64 bit
    Itunes 9.2

I can do a normal backup, although this now takes an hour, whereas with Itunes 9.1 it was 5 minutes.
    The nearest I've got to the upgrade backup completing was 11 hours, before it failed!

2. seeny macrumors regular

i have, it took about 2 hours all in all, the first part of upgrade was very slow but after that it was ok

3. superdm1 macrumors newbie

4. Xenius macrumors newbie

I have these exactly. My conversion to iOS4 took about 1.5 hours (I think). I was playing PS3 while it was going as I had heard it may take a while, so not sure exactly how long it took.

In fact, my backups in the morning when I sync seem to be even faster now.

5. chillstatus macrumors member

I backed up my jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 using itunes 9.2 before I proceeded to upgrade to jailbroken 4.0. After I loaded my custom 4.0 fw, I tried to restore my fresh backup and it kept failing on win 7 64 bit.

I tried everything from rebooting both the machine and the phone, as well as doing another restore of the custom fw. Frustrated, I finally copied my backup files from my win 7 machine to an XP machine and was able to restore.

The only I issue I've had following the restore is that the phone doesn't see my old photos/vids in the camera roll. It acts like nothing is there, but DiskAid shows everything there (I can copy them to my computer).

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I didn't restore, but backed up my phone and was downloading a ridiculous amount of updates (Apple upgraded me to Snow Leopard for free [broken DVD drive and no way to install the new cat] so I could use the iPhone 4!) which took a while, and I also passed the time with my PS3. Uncharted 2 multiplayer FTW.

7. CIA macrumors 6502a

My boss is running Win 7 Home, 64bit. Latest iTunes. He just got his iPhone 4. Activation was quick and painless, so he could make calls and whatnot. But doing the RESTORE is taking FOREVER. It started at 18 min remaining, and has since climbed now to 93 hours. The progress bar isn't moving, but the time remaining is still climbing so I know it hasn't frozen.... yet... How long should this take? I've never used an iPhone on windows....

8. furby3 macrumors member

don't go there!

I tied to upgrade to IOS4 yesterday and it's been a nightmare. The upgrade failed and now I can't reset my phone back to the factory settings. iTunes does not recognize it and it can't be activated. I've spent an entire day at the AT&T store and on the phone with Apple and AT&T tech support. No one can fix it; they are sending me a new one--but it will take 2 weeks because of a shortage of 3GS phones. Two weeks without a phone!

I'm using Win 7 64 bit. I will try it on my XP computer.