Ios4 JB on 3GS issues

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Highwind, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Highwind macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After updating my 3 gs from 3.0.1 to 4.0 with pwnagetool I have noticed these issues and would appreciate any help:
    - the wifi auto-login for public Wifis is not working (safari is not started automatically). Manually starting it will rarely open he wifi login page. It either uses 3G or says no Internet connection.
    - cannot install certificates or settings through safari. It will show a page with the filename and size, but will not install. Nothing is clickable.
    - the AT&T carrier logo is missing. It reappers after installing ultrasn0w. Toggling US off and it disappears again.

I reinstalled Ios4 twice and the problems are still there. Can it be old carrier profiles or other settings from my backup? I did reset network and removed all old profiles (after install of ios 4).

Thanks for any hints.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, things carried over from your previous backup.
    Setup as new.

3. Highwind thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, is there a way to do this without manually reinstalling everything? Also I'd like to keep my notes, messages, email settings etc.

Maybe I can reset network again, backup and then reinstall custom ios4 and my backup, or something similar?

Thanks

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Be careful

Most of the reset switches on an iPhone wll erase your firmware, requiring a full restore.

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Thats completely wrong. No they wont require a restore..

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Whatever you say...
    however, there are many posts here on this board where numerous posters threw the reset switch and have had to restore.

You be the judge...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, reset network wont do anything.
    You need to restore thru itunes and setup as new phone.
    You will lose your notes, texts and email settings but you can setup your email again.
    Thats it.
    Or keep it the way it is.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, a network settings reset won't destroy the firmware, but using the Reset all Settings and Erase all Content & Settings switches likely will...

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, a reset all settings will erase everything including the OS.
    Bad idea.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Technically, it only erases the encryption key, which renders the data unreadable. It's still there, and could theoretically be recovered using sufficiently sophisticated hardware and forensic software. This is why such a reset is insufficient to maintain confidentiality of top secret data. Still, for practical purposes, what you say is true.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    But not many of us have sophisticated forensic hardware and software to decrypt the data from an iphone:D
    Not that it would be worth it anyway to be able to pick up someones texts and emails unless that person is highly important to national security:)

13. cat101 macrumors newbie

I have the same problems as the original poster:
    On top of this if I try to connect to a wifi network that has a login page the whole networking subsystem will fail and I cannot enable wifi until I reboot the phone.

I have tried doing a clean install of iOS4 (pwnagetool, crispytech image, 3GS) and I see the same behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cat

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. cat101 macrumors newbie

There are other issues with the phone that make me think that I have a HW issue. Still in the case of the auto-login feature being a problem for joining authenticated hotspots, I have seen posts all over the place about it so I think is a bug (with no fix so far).