iOS4 Multitasking question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by sOwL, Jun 25, 2010.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Hello. I upgraded my ipod touch 2g (non-MC) to iOS4. Not many problems, at least no problems i couldn't resolve. There is something that bugs me A LOT though.. I bet you all know that there's still no real multitasking. I like Apple's implementation except that every god damn app i need to close i have to open the app switcher and close it from there. Installed 'Remove Recents' to make things easier, but still there are so many apps that i jsut want them to *quit* when i hit the home button, period. But that's not my biggest concern... The thing is, i *need* certain apps to be *running* on background from time to time. Like backgrounding a youtube video to let it fully load. This can't happen anymore... and sadly i realised that there's no backgrounder app for the iOS4 too... so is there any tweak out that could address these sort of things? Will there be a new version of backgrounder that will be able to work together with app switcher? (maybe giving u the choice of which apps to actually background and which to just let the OS do its thing, or which should never appear in the app switcher on first place).. anyone else sharing my concerns?

2. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

2g

Your problem is not Apple's implementation of multitasking. It's that iOS4 does not support any kind of multitasking on the iPod touch 2G or the iPhone 3G. You would need an iPod touch 3rd gen to support multitasking

From Apple:
    *Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)*

3. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Wrong. Indeed those iOS4 features aren't supported by my device, but obviously i'm talking about a Jailbroken device, which has the multitasking feature "unlocked" (custom wallpaper too, for this matter). I have the same multitasking functionality with any officially supported device, and it's not real multitasking as i posted above and as most already found out. So my question remains unanswered :'(

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I've noticed on my 2G jailbroken touch that some apps don't have to reload when you switch out of them, and some do. I think it's a function of the app, rather than the multitasking.

5. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Maybe... since most apps haven't yet been updated for iOS4 anyway.. Well 'Remove Recents' does help on this. But what about having the choice of running an app in the background? Will there be a new backgrounder version that will work together with the app switcher in iOS4?

6. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

In case anyone's interested... i guess my information was outdated. Newest Backgrounder works seamlessly well with the 'multitasking' feature of iOS4 :D

7. smitty078 macrumors member

For what it's worth (I don't actually have any technical knowledge to back this up) I'm in a similar situation with my iphone 3g (jailbroken, features enabled). I have noticed the same phenomenon that some apps need to reload and some don't. I have come to the conclusion that this is actually because the OS is purging them from RAM because they aren't utilizing any background services. I tried an iPhone 4 in the store and NEVER saw an app that had to reload (whether it used background services or not). I therefore believe that it is a RAM limitation, not the actual implementation.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Is that an app in the App Store? I searched and didn't find anything.

9. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Never mind, I see that Remove Recents is a Cydia app. I'll give it a try tonight.

10. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

OK, I just installed Remove Recents and it sure makes Apple's form of multitasking a lot easier to live with. Now those apps that lost everything when you switched out of them just go away. Thank goodness for Cydia :D