Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upgrading 3g to iOS4

• yes i will upgrade my 3g

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • no, im waiting for the iphone 4 to play with the new software

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • doing both(upgrading and waiting for the iphone 4)

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

kolture

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
san juan capistrano,ca
come monday, how many people will actually upgrade their 3g iphone to the new software? Or how many people are just going to wait for the iphone4?

I, personally doing both. even though i wont have multitasking and other features, i want to see whats new.

JReinn

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Denmark
I'm selling my 3G as soon as I get the iPhone 4. But until then I'll wait until there's an iOs4 jailbreak for the 3G, and just run that. I live in Denmark, and there isn't even a release date yet :(

I'd just like to know which features will work on the 3G and which won't, as I don't see that mentioned anywhere, except for the Multitasking feature...

Fuzzy Logic

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Worthing, West Sussex, UK
ios4 on 3g

I'm selling my 3G as soon as I get the iPhone 4. But until then I'll wait until there's an iOs4 jailbreak for the 3G, and just run that. I live in Denmark, and there isn't even a release date yet :(

I'd just like to know which features will work on the 3G and which won't, as I don't see that mentioned anywhere, except for the Multitasking feature...

from what i can see, just folders and unified inbox, and cannot change homescreen background?:(

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I've debated this a great deal. I had my 3G JB'd, but restored planning to upgrade (loosing access to MyWi in the meantime). But if all I'm going to get by upgrading is folders and the unified inbox (which does nothing for me), I think I'm going to re-JB. At least I had home screen wallpaper while JB'd plus MyWi, which I actually needed this morning but didn't have anymore.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I'll update just for that new dock. I hate this old one it's boring. I used to jailbreak just to change the dock alone sometimes! I'm only doing this because I'm supposed to be getting the iPhone 4 on Thursday.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
I'm running the iOS4 GM on my 3G right now and it is sloooowwww. It really is terrible. All apps take longer to launch, many crashes (could be fixed by developers), no wallpaper, no multitasking, general lag all around...

It kind of makes me mad. They update the OS with new features, but the 3G doesn't get most of them and they slow the thing down like crazy at the same time. Folders actually speeds up the springboard, so I'm not sure what else could be slowing it down.

Unless you NEED folders and a unified inbox, I don't recommend upgrading to 4.0.

Jill1228

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Waiting for the 4. I sold my 3g on eBay and the buyer asked me NOT to put the new software on

so I will back up my phone Wednesday night on the old software and wait till I get home with my new iPhone to download the new software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.