iOS4 on 3Gs drains battery fast

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sirolway, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I used to get easily a day's use on my 3GS with iOS3.
    Now I've upgraded to iOS4, the battery is flat before I get to midday - it runs out FAR quicker.

Anyone else noticed this?
    This is not good - if I'm away from a charger for the day, the phone isn't going to make it. I'd rather lose multitasking (or whatever's draining it) & get more life ..

Thoughts?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

There's been a lot of talk with people having this problem. I personally do not have this issue and I'm not sure it's because of the battery utility I use "Battery Doctor."

3. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I didn't have that problem with my 3G on iOS4 (and I was playing MP3's all day). I kind of doubt it's something special with the 3Gs. I think you need to figure out what you're running that's causing the battery drain. So what apps are you running? Are you streaming? Is Wifi/Bluetooth on? etc.

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

My dad has the same issue but my 3GS didn't, he said with light use it would only last a few hours and he has to recharge it multiple times during the day

5. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

I've finally solved this after my iPhone started crashing all the time - apps would quit 10-20 times per day!

I did a DFU wipe of the iPhone (held down both buttons for 8+ seconds while plugged into iTunes). This wipes all the data, takes it back to factory & upgrades it to the latest OS without going through all the intermediate OS versions.

I then set it up as a new phone (i.e. I did not choose the 'restore from backup' option)

I then went through iTunes & chose all the apps, music, photos etc I wanted to sync back onto it, synced it, logged into all the apps on my iPhone & generally got it back to where I wanted it

It now doesn't crash (at all so far, fingers crossed) and after a day of standard (light) use is still at 53% battery - never would have got this before

So that seems to have been a miracle cure - I can highly recommend
    If I was to do it again, the only thing I'd do differently would be to take a screen shot of all my app screens so I could remember how I had it set up before ...

Hope it helps

6. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah a restore normally helps. This actually happened to me before when I updated my old iPhone 3Gs. I couldn't stand the slowness so I restored it and it fixed the problem.

7. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

A totally clean restore is the way tbh.

Upgrading seems to cause all sorts of issues