iOS4 on iPod touch 8gb - do you experience slowdown?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by inertiat, Jul 30, 2010.

1. inertiat macrumors member

Hey there,

After hearing the numerous reports that ios4 runs very slowly on the iPhone 3G, I was wondering if the same was true for the iPod touch 8Gb (which I believe is a 2G model - am I correct?)

Does anyone here have an 8Gb iPod touch with ios4? Can you tell me if it runs any slower than it did with 3.1.3 or any other earlier versions?

I'm very apprehensive about upgrading before I get some advice form those who have it first-hand, it would be very useful.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

2. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Truthfully, yeah. My iPod has been slowing down, and sometimes even crashing to the home screen, compared to 3.1.3 which ran pretty smoothly.

It's probably because its not really meant for this iOS. Apple should have left it for the newer hardware, because the amount of RAM for the iPod touch 2G/iPhone 3G is just too little to handle iOS 4.

EDIT: I've also noticed in SBSettings that some Apps like youtube keeps running despite the fact that I don't have multitasking up yet. Before, it would only leave Mail, Music, Video, and Safari open, and everything else closed.

3. snowman1 macrumors regular

I upgraded my ipod touch 2nd gen 8gb to iOS 4 about a month ago. There isn't that much of a slow down, but there definitely is some. Occasionally, I get severe breakdowns (Music doesn't start, Safari crashes, Youtube crashes, etc.) but usually it's pretty reliable.

Also, I actually jailbroke my iPod touch and enabled multitasking (which isn't normally available for 2nd gens) and it actually works quite well! As long as you don't leave too many apps open, multitasking is (for the most part) smooth. I usually keep 4-5 apps open (textfree, facebook, mail, safari, music).

EDIT: compared to 3.1.3, i would say it's a tad bit slower at launching apps without multitasking...but WITH multitasking, the fast app switching really cuts down on app launch times. You just have to manage your memory well.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

5. rgwoehr macrumors member

It hasn't been too much slower for me, but the battery life is terrible. Not sure if that has anything to do with iOS 4 though.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It most likely does.

7. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

it takes me like 20secounds to open safari or mail and i have 15 songs and 4 apps

8. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    Go for it!

My iPod touch 2G 8GB is upgraded to iOS4. I haven't experienced many major problems yet.

That said, the OS is somewhat less snappy than what I recall, so If you're willing to give up a little snappiness to get a few extra features, I say go for the upgrade.:D

EDIT: I forgot to mention battery life. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life. If anything, it increased slightly.

9. SoraLimit macrumors regular

But that's the thing, in the age of technology, we shouldn't have to worry about how many things are open because of the amount of RAM we can cram in a computer. That's how I justified myself not to use multitasking on my iPod, and one of the reasons why I'm getting the 4G version.

10. iMac0765 macrumors regular

It's so slow for me, I can't even check my Facebook without 2 crashes... :mad:

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Wow. How terrible.

12. celticpride678

The slowest thing for me on iOS 4 is opening the Music application...takes like 10 seconds. Apparently these issues are being worked on in iOS 4.1

13. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input guys. Hmm I might wait for the next update then, but I wonder if Apple will bother updating this model with the next models being due soon.

14. zjzjn1 macrumors member

For me it doesn't run slow. Except when I have more than 4 apps open. I have enabled multitasking.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Always. :)
    Is yours JBed or a 3rd gen?

16. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It's probably jailbroken. According to SBSettings on my iPod, without multitasking, Music, Video, Safari, and Mail usually stays open even after they're close, but the whole iPod begins to slow down.

3rd Gen iPods are identical to the iPhone 3GS so I would think that it can open more Apps.

17. zjzjn1 macrumors member

It is JB'ed and it is pure, late 2008, second gen 8gb iPod touch.
    I can show u the pics.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. kelving525 macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any significant crashes after upgrading to iOS 4, apps run 98% of the time without a crash.

19. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I notice the occasional slow down/stutter in some games but overall it's better. Although battery life is worse in standby (presumably with the wifi always on feature)

20. pprior macrumors 65816

My son has an 8gb ipod touch, and we've avoided upgrading to version 4 thus far. Other than multitasking, is there any reason to even take a chance on it? To me, the hardware wasn't made to run this, so why not leave well enough alone.

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

You wont get multitasking.

22. celticpride678

Found this one possible fix on the Internet:

Disable Spotlight by deselecting all of it's options in Settings>General>Home Button>Spotlight Search

23. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I used restore and update to install iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iPod Touch 8g(MC model), despite some major slowdown in Safari, all other apps and games seemed to be running fine.

I had no problem playing most games, listening to my music through bluetooth and watching videos. Menus and built in apps definitely run faster than before upgrade(except for safari), springboard is even smoother than my 3rd gen with iOS 4 and its always-on wallpaper.

In fact I started to regret agreeing to sell it to one of my friend, seeing iOS 4 running fine on it, but I kept my promise anyway.

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think this is the first time ive heard a positive comment(s) from a consumer with a 2nd gen upgraded to iOS4.

25. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps due to do doing a restore and update as opposed to just an update on top of the old firmware. How easy is it to jailbreak the iPod to enable multitasking?