iOS4 + Places - doesn't work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jody, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jody macrumors regular

So I'm having trouble with the photos app and places...

The photos I have synced from iPhoto show up in places with no problem - however photos I have taken with the built-in camera that I have NOT synced, do not show up in places at all.

Is this the way its supposed to work?

If not, what am I doing wrong? I have geodata enabled for the camera.... but I can't figure this one out.

2. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Look I know this isn't a post hyperventilating about ridiculous group-think hysteria....

But its a legit question. Does anyone actually know how places in iOS4 works? Will it work in real-time from the built in camera or does it need to by synced to work?

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I took a pic and a vid @ my desk yesterday. They show up.

Took a pic today...not showing up.

4. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

Do you have locations services turned off. They have to be on for it tag the photo with the location that Places needs.

5. Blazing angel macrumors regular

faces only appears if you sync with iphoto
    windows users screwed

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope, turned on.

He's asking about places, not faces.

7. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Yea all location data is turned on...

If it's the expected behavior, then thats fine. But I thought you could sort photos via places without having to re-sync the device.

I know faces has to be synced - but I didnt know the same was to be said for places.

8. AJerman macrumors member

I'm not sure why it happens, but try giving the Places feature a little while to refresh. I took a bunch of pictures last night and this morning, then looked at Places and none of those pictures were listed. A little while later, they were all there and tagged in the right place on the map. I don't know if something triggered it to update or what. I know I haven't plugged it into a computer yet though, so that's not it.

9. Orange™ macrumors 6502

When I sync my photos to from iPhone 4 to iPhoto, the photo data says the latitude and longitude but won't show up in places, like on a map.

To recap, it shows up on the map on my phone, but doesn't on iPhoto on my MBP!

Any suggestions????

10. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Yea this is wonky.... I just wish I knew how it was supposed to work.

11. Nyse macrumors member

Mine took a little while, the first time I didn't think it would work but it did. Something weird though, photos that I took on my 3gs several months ago were geo tagged. I guess the 3GS knew to do it when the software wasn't even around. I wonder why though?

12. jburns macrumors regular

That would make twice.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Geotagging pics on the iPhone came w/ the release of iOS 2.0

Edit: Verified...iOS 2.0

14. Nyse macrumors member

Thanks!

15. Scotydnt macrumors newbie

16. bluehoo macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, but I have the version of iPhoto w/o faces & places, so if I sync and select the option to delete those photos from the camera roll, they won't show up any longer in places. If I sync w/o deleting from camera roll they do show up.

I think any photo w/ GPS coordinates should be put in places, regardless of what you syncing to, but that's unfortunately not the way Apple implemented Places.