iOS4 Proximity sensor failure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by don pianta, Jun 21, 2010.

1. don pianta macrumors regular

Ok, so you know how the phone's screen turns off when the proximity sensor senses that the phone is being held up to your head during a phone call?

Well I just got a call and when I tried to open the keypad the screen wouldn't turn back on. Even after the call was over the screen wouldnt turn back on... After each call I have to press the sleep/wake button at least 4 times (until i hear the "lock" sound) for the screen to return to the lock screen. It's happened multiple times and I've tried everything from restarting to performing a full restore on my phone.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

EDIT: I'm using a 3GS that was previously jailbroken (updated from 3.1.3 jailbreak)

2. don pianta thread starter macrumors regular

I'm finding things that don't work all over the place...The internet only works about 60% of the time, i cant manage to turn on character count in text messages, my voicemail doesnt work at all... (i have to dial to get voicemail... but i cant actually use the keypad because the screen turns off when i activate the proximity snesor...) i hope these are fixed on the iPhone 4... (i've jailbroken my 3GS multiple times... and that's what i blame all of these "errors" on)

3. felipequintella macrumors newbie

I am having this exact issue!
    I make a call and when I want to end the call the screen never turns on again!

Just like don pianta, I have to press the Power/Sleep button until I hear the locking "click" so I can turn the screen back on and unlock it!

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or even why does it occur??
    Any help is welcome!

PS: I have an iPhone 3G currently Jailbroken on iOS 4.

4. Insomnihack macrumors newbie

Same prob here :(

Add another person to the list with this annoying problem! I've been googling away trying to find a solution for the last hour, but no luck yet.

I have a 3G Jailbroken (using redsn0w) iOS4 GM.

Please update this thread if you find a solution. It's driving me insane!

5. og1 macrumors regular

weird, I am not having this issue. i have an early bootrom 3gs, upgraded to 4.0 final release yesterday from 3.1.2 JB with blackra1n. I wonder if there is a common factor with all these problem phones?

6. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

My 3GS with iOS 4 works fine. Voicemail required me to input my password again, but no biggie there. Otherwise it works fine. The proximity sensor is working fine too. Nice solid internet connection... I've checked mail and browsed the web over both WiFi and 3G several times since updating to iOS 4 yesterday.

The game Dragon's Lair is not working properly with iOS 4. It's an issue with the game because ALL Dragon's Lair players with iOS 4 are having the same problem. Other than that, I've had no issues with iOS 4 (though, admittedly, I haven't tried EVERY app yet).

Happy camper here and my 3GS seems much snappier under iOS 4!

Important Note: I've never jailbroken my iPhone!

Mark

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Not sure if this is your issue re: SMS character count - but it ONLY appears after you've typed approximately 30 characters. I had to go find some article online that had that as I naturally thought it would appear immediately. Personally I don't see the "harm" in having it appear immediately. But apparently Apple thinks it's a waste on shorter messages...

8. ianray macrumors 6502

The counter shows when there is more than one line of text in the textbox. (Until then, there is not enough room above the 'Send' button.)

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Well that was a UI choice as to where/how to put the character count. Whatever - really. At least SOMETHING is there. I just think that when the average joe turns on the feature, he/she's going to be confused why it's not showing up all the time UNTIL they try it a few times. But until then, no doubt they will think it's not working.

10. ianray macrumors 6502

That's a fair point.

On the other hand, this could be another example of Apple 'sweating the details', where the counter is hidden until a non-trivial amount of text is entered :)

11. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

I am having this sensor failure issue as well. I was JB with Blackra!n but reverted since 3.1.3. I note in the Apple.com thread that many that are experiencing this have never JB.

Will visit a Genius @ Apple before I give this to my son, my 4 is due to arrive today.

12. fs454 macrumors 65816

My iPhone 4 has the same issue, where the screen won't turn on again after the call is force-ended with the lock button. VERY annoying...please tell me there's a quick solution to this somewhere.

13. wtfmfer macrumors newbie

14. celticwebs macrumors newbie

I have just tried the reset all settings on my Jailbroken ios4 3GS and now it's stuck on the apple screen with the counter bar at the bottom :( I feel a yet another restore coming on. Getting a bit irritating this ios4 :(