Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just signed up for Skype because of the multi tasking aspect of it to make life easier when talking to family in other countries, but when I open Skype after a couple of hours since using it then it shows me as connecting.

Is there a time limit of inactivity before Skype signs you out? I was under the impression that you were 'online' until you signed out?

Thanks
Liam

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi,

I have just signed up for Skype because of the multi tasking aspect of it to make life easier when talking to family in other countries, but when I open Skype after a couple of hours since using it then it shows me as connecting.

Is there a time limit of inactivity before Skype signs you out? I was under the impression that you were 'online' until you signed out?

Thanks
Liam

i noticed mine said connecting, i went into it and chose online and it connected, i don't know how long it stays online tho.

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
A mod posted in the official Skype forums that with iOS4 and the updated Skype app you can stay signed in indefinitely as long as you are not inactive for more than 5 days and your phone is not reset or powered off. :)

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
I have just been testing it with my girlfriend and about 5 minutes after I close Skype then I am showing offline.

I close the app then lock the screen then I will show offline. I have the latest version of Skype.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I think sometimes it just disconnect and sign off completely even though it is still in the multitasking bar...

you have to go in and sign in again...

maybe this doesn't happen to all but happen to me, and i guess the buddy ^^^^....

just occasionally....

EDIT: Mine doesn't go offline when i send the app to the multitasking bar. Still showed online on my gf's computer skype. Call can still be received....

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe...

I think when you run out of ram for the iPhone to hold skype in background it basically cuts the connection off while still keeping it in the dock, so that it can utilize that ram for wtever you are doing at that moment. Maybe open a lot of safari webpages and other apps and see if it closes the session when opening skype from the multitask bar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.