IOS4 sluggish on iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I am going to be giving my 3G to my father as soon as my 4 arrives. I have been hearing reports that the current IOS4 runs really slow on the 3G. I am thinking about not upgrading to IOS4 on the 3G until this is worked out and leaving 3.1.3 on it. Can anyone, who has installed the goldmaster, confirm this?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Just DONT upgrade within the first few hours and wait to see what people have to say.

3. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I am curious of the speed on the 3g as well. I am debating if I just skip the update and wait for it on the 4 on Thursday. Don't feel like being aggravated for the next 3 days if it is an issue.

4. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

My gf got 4.0 on her 3G last week with the GM. From what I have seen it runs better than any 3.x version has so far.

5. bahooki macrumors regular

I have it on my 3G and a 2gen Touch. Its pretty awful on both. It kinda started out OK, but quickly turned into something I no longer want.

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Youre also going to get this. Some people it will run better for, some it wont.

7. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

And from what I've been reading, there's no bloody rhyme or reason as to why some have flawless performance and why some utterly suck. I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones.

8. Appdict macrumors regular

I'm interested to find out too. At the least, I want Folders for my iPhone. I like stuff organized, and though my 3G is fairly organized - folders could help me a little bit more.

9. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Did you setup as new after the upgrade to IOS4?

10. eh270 macrumors regular

I installed the GM and while it feels faster sometimes, it's definitely slower overall. The camera take longer to get to the point where you are ready to take a picture, my lock screen is sluggish to respond, and the keyboard seems to be much less responsive than it was with 3.1.x

Remember that 3G won't get access to multitasking or even background wallpapers, so the big things you are really "getting" with the upgrade are:

1) Unified inbox
    2) Universal spell check
    3) Folders (sure, less pages of icons, but still takes nearly as long to find the folder you're looking for, I'm not sold on this feature. I just use spotlight search for apps I use less often).
    4) Camera places/faces .. again, fun, but not something i'd be willing to trade for overall responsiveness

It's also worth noting that Navigon East has stopped working for me, I hope they fix it in the iOS4 compatible release, but stops receiving location data after about a minute. The "location" icon in the top right corner disappears, and the app starts reporting inaccurate GPS data (triangulation only)

11. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I would not mind those features but 3.1.3 is already sluggish in some respects. Hmm, I might wait a little while on 4.0

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

One problem I have had with past OS versions is that it gets sluggish after restoring a backup.

For people who are having sluggishness, you should try restoring it to a clean version of 4.0, and don't restore your backup. Then add all your music and settings back manually.

That has helped me before. Something gets mucked up in the backup restore.

13. yegon macrumors 68020

If I wasn't getting a IV, I'd go out of my way to downgrade back to 3.1.3. As others have said, sometimes its okay, other times it's pretty appalling.