iOS4 to iOS5 upgrade..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Feb 28, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I've seen a lot of people talking about how limited iOS4 is and how they'd like to see it opened up and more productive in iOS5 etc,...

So what are some of the changes you guys are looking for/ want to see in iOS5?

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

There is many things people want.

Like a file system,better notification system,etc
    There will be lost more

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think there have been many threads about this, but for me:

1. Better notifications, more growl like and not stopping what I am doing and having to respond immediately. Let them go into some kind of queue that I can look at later and clear all of them at once if I so choose.

2.A simple filesystem. I am not asking for access to system folders, in fact, just the opposite. Just a simple shared user directory that shows up as a removable disk when hooked up to a computer. Let all apps access and be able to modify files on that disk and save files to it. This has something to do with my third request...

3. More complete web browsing experience. I am not talking about flash here, I am talking about being able to complete web forms. To be able to use document upload forms (Which would require #2) and more text area fields. The funny part is I cannot submit bug reports or post on Apple's web forums because their text fields do not work in the iPad browser. Plus do some better cache management so I can press the back button and not have to reload the previous page.

4. Better photo handling, I want to be able to organize my newly taken photos on my iPad then import them back into iPhoto/Aperture on my Mac, with those new libraries intact. Right now the iPad is a great viewer but has horrible photo management.

5. iLife for iPad. iMovie is already on the iPhone in a limited form so fix up the interface a little better for iPad and it should be good. Mainly though, I want GarageBand for iPad. There are already multitrack recorders for iPad that work great but they don't have the complete package with sequencing and editing like GarageBand does. Sell it for $10 bucks and intrest in the iPad would increase exponentially in the music community.

Garageband on the mac is known for its simplicity in dealing with a fairly complex subject, that makes it a perfect fit for the iPad. And the iPad would make a great portable recorder for getting a simple idea recorded quickly, then you can easily flesh it out with some software instruments until you can get back to your actual DAW.

So basically, that is what I want from iOS 5.

4. Jcoz macrumors 6502

IDK about widgets, but some form of better utilization of the home and lock screens.

I'd like to see some real integration and benefit of owning an iphone and ipad instead of one or the other.

Updated Safari.

Lots of new gestures, maybe customizable gestures like shortcuts on your mac....

5. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Agreed, hard to understand exactly why this wasn't somewhat of a no-brainer for the original release, perhaps the size such apps may be, or possibly waiting for more cloud capability to make the low on board storage capacities more functional

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in addition to what was said here before:
    1.) copy and paste capability
    I know that you can copy paste some data between apps but it's not complete. some data can't be copied at all and you can't copy and paste data between emails.
    2.) printing
    I know you can print to some printers or via a mac with iTunes. but how about simple printing via wifi and printerdrivers like 1995?

7. azentropy, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Kinda my running list...

iOS
    - Improved homescreen (at least give dynamic icons - ie weather should show the current temp, clock the time like calendar shows the date)
    - Improved Lock screen
    - Improved notification (customized sounds etc., dismissal without having to unlock)
    - Basic filesystem
    - No longer require PC/Mac for activation, updates etc.
    - Update/Sync wirelessly to PC/Mac or Update/Sync to the Cloud for iTools/.mac/.me users (or whatever they are calling the service this year).
    - Option to backup to standalone Apple TimeCapsule
    - Support for groups in mail app (ie. I have a defined group I should be able to quickly create an email with all the group automatically filled in).
    - Feature like the jailbreak app RetinaPad. It is silly just to scale up iPhone apps instead of using the retina enhanced version on the iPad.

8. tac22 macrumors 6502

They did the iWork apps for the first launch. I think they just need to do one thing at a time, I surely understand them not doing it all at once. That being said, yes I believe with the launch of iPad 2 they need to introduce some iLife apps. Think we will get them befor ios5 though.

9. tac22 macrumors 6502

You can print via wifi with compatible printers, and I can't find anything wrong with copy and paste

Copy and paste was ios3 and printing iOS4.2

10. Krandor macrumors 6502

- Bettter notifications
    - WiFi/3G sync. I don't want a service where I have to uplaod stuff to Apple's servers or can only access content bought from iTunes. I want to access MY iTunes library remotely.
    - simple file system
    - some type of self updating tiles/widgets.
    - Something similar to android fragments where apps could be designed for iOS once but work on both the phone or iPad without just upscaling.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

did you read the post at all:D

seriously they should improve those simple things because I know a lot of people who a frustrated by this.

i also find the switching between apps in the taskbar cumbersome. try to copy paste 20 text elements and pics from a pdf file into a keynote presentation. it's tedious. with a swipe like in webOS this would be much easier. especially since you end up with 25 apps in the taskbar unless you manually remove them from there.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just think for a minute how much space print drivers take up on a new computer install.

They take more room than iOS itself and unlikely to be available that way.

13. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Do the terms of service for the iPad still say that we have to pay to upgrade to iOS 5? I know beforehand it was reported when the iPad was released that all major upgrades following the upgrade to 4.2 may incur a fee.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Better Notification System!!

That big old black bar on top of the iPad is asking for notification icons! :D

Rather than pop up's!;)

Widgets and Customization!

15. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Hmm hadn't seen that.

Thats a tough one there.....they like to brag about how many people have upgraded to the most current version of the OS, guarantee that's the last time you'll ever hear that if they start charging for those updates.

16. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

wanna bet iPad 2 users won't have to pay but iPad 1 users will? they did something like that before didn't they with the iPhones.. for OS 4?

17. deeddawg, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

they did it for itouch users previous to iOS4 I think, but not for iOS4: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ios_4_upgrade_guide/

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in OS X i think all printer drivers are about 1GB.

so why can't I download the three or five printer drivers I need for my home and work network and a generic HP driver for emergencys? that would be about 10MB or so.

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

The idea of making people download printer drivers makes Steve Jobs throw up in his mouth.

20. Davichi macrumors 6502

21. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It me much larger than that as they would have to implement CUPS. So it would be > 100mb just for that. To an OS that only about 600mb to begin with that is quite large. Also I don't think Apple wants to get into changing the OS installation process so the users have to choose what to install and what not to.

I'm more upset they changed it so only native AirPrint printers are supported and you now have to "hack" or add a 3rd party application to your PC/Mac in order to print to those.