iOS4 upgrade for my 3G, backing up process seems to not be doing anything

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GodWhomIsMike, Jun 21, 2010.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I am upgrading to iOS4 on my 3G, and backing up process seems to not be doing anything. It's been 20 minutes now, and the status bar hasn't budged at all. Is this normal. I am using a 2.16 GHz White Macbook with 2GB of ram, and iTunes 9.2. Phone is a 16GB iPhone 3G.

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Backing up took forever on mine as well.

I was concerned so I cancelled and restarted, and only then saw the disclaimer saying it could take well over an hour.

3. Devlonc macrumors member

my 3gs didn't take long at all 20-30 minutes total. My buddy with a 3g, his seems stuck at the backup stage.

4. GodWhomIsMike thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just saw that on the second attempt as well. I might just stop it, wait until I get home from work, and then start it the second I walk in the door. Hopefully, by the time I prepare dinner, clean up, and get ready to go to the gym, it will be done.

5. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Be more patient and let it be. Mine took a while.

6. srkislia macrumors newbie

Cancel Backup?

If I manually backup my iPhone 3g then cancel the automatic backup, would by iPhone restore in iOS4, or would my manual backup downgrade back to iOS3? :confused: