IOS5.1 vs IOS6 Emulator problems

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mngoose, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mngoose macrumors member

All,

I took code (the complete code) from one of my 5.1 projects (which has no compiling red errors and would run) and copy/pasted it into a IOS6 application and the whole thing is errored out and giving me errors like ( property must be declared in the interface), so I thought that maybe i missed a piece of the copy and paste of the .m and .h files that I had and I verified each and every variable, view, button, label, that I have in the program and they are all there and in the proper places.

I realize that IOS6 is a new version of the operating system, my version of Xcode has all of the download emulator files and I have installed them, rebooted the entire machine, closed all open projects and only opened a new project and the working code project so that I could start to work with IOS6 and to make sure that the both IOSs worked. so now it is is giving a bunch of errors with the working code from the 5.1 application.

Is this what Apple does? Changes the os to the point that every new release has to have a wholly new written application developed for it ?

If this is the case then it just made Apple development that much more difficult for people to get into development because of the learning curve with one OS having to re-write an application for the new OS which will require a new level of learning curve that could take time again, then Apple changes the OS and you have to start all over?

Is anyone else seeing this ?

Thanks
    Ron

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Hard to say what's going on with an abstract description like this. Post some specific code and the errors that it's generating.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This is certainly not the norm. You have left us in a situation where it's difficult to help though, because you haven't shared with us your code or specific errors.

If it's just a property not being in the interface... that's an error that would have been generated for any version of iOS. Your interface is generally your header file. Add an @property declaration for whatever it's complaining about.

Edit: Why are you coping your files at all? I see no reason to not just keep your existing project?

4. mngoose thread starter macrumors member

All,

I actually fixed the issue and it was not with my code switching from IOS5 to IOS6 and back but rather a default option that was left on that should not have been and I certainly did not turn it on so it must have come out in the last update or the updates that I did the other night to get the ios 5.0 and ios 5.1 emulators to revert some of my code and allow me to write for both OS on the same project.

Solution:

if you are trying to bring ios 5.0 and 5.1 code up to 6 and it starts erroring out when trying to build and it gives the error Cannot load layout constrictors then all youhave to do is on the options under file examiner for the xib of that project then turn off auto layout and it will move freely back and forth from one ios to the other.

Thanks
    Ron

5. knagar macrumors newbie