iOS5 and 10.5 Beta Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanEE89, Jun 28, 2011.

1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

My friend loaded iOS5 onto his iPhone4 GSM and then later reloaded the Windows Vista Operating System onto his laptop afterwards. Is there a way to sync his phone to the reinstalled system without losing his call history or text messages in the process? He has reloaded the 10.5 Beta of iTunes onto the computer again, but when he tries to sync he gets a "itunes waiting for changes to reconcile" error and then it does nothing. I was thinking about syncing up his music library to force it to sync. Would there be a risk in losing any other data since it mentions the music library would be replaced.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. SeanEE89, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011

SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

There definitely is. I can post a screen shot if you don't believe me.

[​IMG]

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Their is a Beta for Windows, but it just doesn't Wireless Sync.

5. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone able to answer my question. If I resync his apps or music from scratch will this erase his texts, pictures, and call history or not?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you Restore it as New, then yes all will be lost.

7. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to add a new app to the phone and it is telling me all the app data will be replaced. I'm not going to do a restore. I'm just trying to see if the rest of the data on the phone will be lost if the music library is replaced with a new one or if the apps delete all the old data.

8. SeanEE89, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011

SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted two screen shots of what I am talking about. Would proceeding with either of these cause the phone to erase the texts, call history, and pictures. The reason I ask is because I am under the impression this would force a full sync on the phone which is what I'm having trouble doing at the moment.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Try right clicking the iPhone in iTunes and creating a backup.

If it lets you do that, the backup should create a copy of the text messages, settings etc. on the device.

There are no guarantees though - both iOS 5.0 and iTunes 10.5 are in beta and Apple hasn't got all of the sync functionality into those betas yet.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Manually make a new Back-up by right-clicking on the device and selecting Back-Up.

I've done this before and normally it would ask me to Merge the info, not Erase and Sync (I'm not sure if this is a Beta bug), but none-the-less create a new Back-up first and then Add the new App(s) and see what happens. When I've done this it would normally merge info and apps together and nothing is lost.

[​IMG]

If something goes wrong then just repeat the first step and restore your device to the last back-up. (this process is quick and does not require you to restore the entire phone, it will just replace the data).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

"itunes waiting for changes to reconcile" is a bug in iTunes beta 2 in windows, I googled this when I was getting stuck on this whilst syncing and seems it's just a bug within beta 2.

I tend to right click on my phone under devices hit transfer purchases and when I hit sync apps it tends to keep my apps, however with the beta 2 I found instead of keeps my apps as in it chucks everything out the folders and had to redo the folders.

EDIT: just a warning it will be a bitch to sync your apps if your erase and sync as the apps window will freeze your iTunes up, also from my past experience erase and sync never erases your txts call history etc.

12. shandyman Suspended

Best way to transfer apps to your device is to select and drag them from the apps section in iTunes and drop on the device, much easier and it doesn't make iTunes freeze :)

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oooh nice tip I'll have to remember that if I need to transfer apps from iTunes, I thankfully have access to OSX which helped me but will remember for next time :)

14. aries77 macrumors newbie

SAME problem!!

Sean,

Will you please update what you came up with. I am getting the same message(itunes library) and I am so frustrated!

I too, and trying to see if my apps, texts etc will be erased or just my music!

Thanks

15. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The freezing is fixed in the latest beta.

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you will get this on a computer you haven't synced with before, all that will be erased is music apps etc. your texts, call log, camera roll etc will be fine