iOS5 B4 boot issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Aug 1, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I can get the phone booted past the Apple logo and into a frozen timer graphic....I connected it to iTunes and I can hear vibrates from messages coming in while connected but can't see them. It also went through the sync process just fine. THis has been going on for about 30 mins....every minute or so the little timer starts moving and then stops again...Understanding this is a beta, what steps would you take to troubleshoot? Has been working flawlessly until this AM.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would try a DFU restore and see if that helps. I assume you're using an iPhone 4?

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Yes, iPhone 4. Will a DFU put it back to a previous version or reset the current OS?

4. Kyotoma, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It will restore it back to the latest legitimate software, which is 4.3.5 for GSM and 4.2.10 for CDMA models. After which you'll be able to shift+click restore back to iOS 5 beta 4.

EDIT: Do note that this could potentially happen in non-beta forms of iOS software. I experienced your issue back in 3.1.3, long before I started developing, unfortunately, and had to take it to the Genius Bar because I had no idea what was wrong with it.

5. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So, I went back to the OS4 restore.....then I updated to the beta 4 OS5 and went through an iCloud backup. That backup was from about 36 hours ago. I was able to backup my device before I restored it about an hour ago but am wondering now if a backup file could be corrupt...once I updated to the most recent updated backup my device is stuck at the spinning screen (with the spinner not spinning)....I am going to try it again and not do that last backup. Stay tuned.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It could be. In all honesty if that's the case I'm not even sure how to delete an iCloud backup.

7. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Ironically, the iCloud backup appears to be ok....it had all of my icons on both screens showing the updating progress bar...assume that if I had just let that finish that it would have completed. It was the right click restore from backup that apparently hosed it.