Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
Anyone think it would be really cool if Apple pushed the next beta out over the Air (OTA) using the new feature in iOS5. Not only would it be good to see how this works in practice, it would be good to see how big the delta updates will roughly be.

I heard the last iOS beta was updated every other Tuesday, anyone confirm this?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm sure Apple will release some updates via OTA during the beta cycle (they'll need to test out the OTA updates so it makes perfect sense that they'll do it before IOS 5 is released). I personally think it's a bit early for them to do it with the next update, but could be wrong.

As for when the next beta update will be, there are no fixed dates on how often updates will come out: iOS 4 betas did tend to come out fortnightly but there's no guarantee that the same will apply for iOS 5. Personally, with the amount of development going on at the moment (iOS 5, iCloud, Lion), I wouldn't be surprised if theres a longer gap than 2 weeks until the next update

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's already been a few threads talking about this but yeah it would be cool. I'm not sure if they'll be ready for this at the beta 2 stage. It may be less risky to put the beta out on the developer.apple.com servers the OTA at this stage.

Also if they do eventually go to OTA, would they limit the update to only those that have valid developer accounts or to everyone running the beta?

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
since these are betas of 5.0 i dont think they will focus on the ota updates. i think ota update testing will be with the 5.1 or 5.0.1 betas

would be cool though

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
since these are betas of 5.0 i dont think they will focus on the ota updates. i think ota update testing will be with the 5.1 or 5.0.1 betas

would be cool though

I disagree. Apple's emphasis on "you never have to plug your phone in again" would be severely lessened with the caveat "except to update your phone...that's coming in the NEXT update".

Granted, I don't know that we'll see it in THIS beta, but I believe it will be fully active at the official 5.0 release this spring.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Anyone think it would be really cool if Apple pushed the next beta out over the Air (OTA) using the new feature in iOS5. Not only would it be good to see how this works in practice, it would be good to see how big the delta updates will roughly be.

I heard the last iOS beta was updated every other Tuesday, anyone confirm this?

can they really "push" a iOS via OTA? wont that kill some peoples data plan, i would hope OTA are made so you have to accept the download

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I did not get the impression that 5.0 was ota only that 5.0 would be updated with delta updates ota

Have to rewatch that part of the keynote.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I do have a 2 quick question

1) I bought a UDID spot to register for iOS 5 beta 1 do I have to buy another spot for iOS 5 beta 2?

2) What does it mean when the Beta expires I read somewhere on this forum?

This is my first time going through the beta, I don't have no complaints just two quick question :) Thanks for you guys time on answering these question.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i guess this is where i draw my conclusion and it may be a stretch...

the image shows that the phone will be updating to 5.1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-06-16 at 10.31.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-06-16 at 10.31.37 AM.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 435

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I do have a 2 quick question

1) I bought a UDID spot to register for iOS 5 beta 1 do I have to buy another spot for iOS 5 beta 2?

2) What does it mean when the Beta expires I read somewhere on this forum?

This is my first time going through the beta, I don't have no complaints just two quick question :) Thanks for you guys time on answering these question.

1) no you should be good for about a year. depending on when the account for the person that you registered with expires. most people selling UDID spots made new accounts just to do this around the time the beta was released.

2) i remember with 3.0 betas there were time limitations that would 'kill' the beta and you would have to upgrade to a new one. i would expect that to be the same with the current betas. try manually adjusting the date ahead on your phone and see what happens.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
1) no you should be good for about a year. depending on when the account for the person that you registered with expires. most people selling UDID spots made new accounts just to do this around the time the beta was released.

2) i remember with 3.0 betas there were time limitations that would 'kill' the beta and you would have to upgrade to a new one. i would expect that to be the same with the current betas. try manually adjusting the date ahead on your phone and see what happens.

Hey man thanks for reply back :D

Im afraid trying that if I adjust the date. Would it stop working like if I did? Meaning I would have to restore my phone back?

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
Hey man thanks for reply back :D

Im afraid trying that if I adjust the date. Would it stop working like if I did? Meaning I would have to restore my phone back?

not sure, last time i was really playing the beta game was a couple years ago. i would say it is entirely possible so do a backup before giving it a shot.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
iH8sn0w stated that 5.0b1 will expire on August 4

solidus430

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
PDX
can they really "push" a iOS via OTA? wont that kill some peoples data plan, i would hope OTA are made so you have to accept the download

The OTA updates are "Delta" updates only, which means they don't re-download the entire OS, only the components which have been changed. This means that updates could be as small as a few hundred kilobytes, and probably not much larger than 40-50 mb (at least, I would hope not any larger than that).

From what I've seen using iOS 5 beta 1 so far, OTA updates appear to be initiated manually from the Settings app, so you could easily wait to do it until you're on a WiFi network if you're on a more restricted data plan.

The other important thing to note is that OTA updates may not even be enabled in beta 1 yet, and it's feasible we won't see them become a factor until later in the beta cycle. That said, I do think it's pretty reasonable to assume we'll see OTA updates during the beta and in time for iOS 5's public release this fall.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The over the air updates will be very late in the beta testing as steve said there delta updates. Not unless they push out minor changes to the beta.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I think it depends if beta 2 will be a delta update or not. I would think that it wouldn't be but hey just my 2 cents. maybe by the time the GM is ready it could be a delta update and be able to be OTA.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Is Apple pushing Lion updates out over Software update? If so, they may actually send iOS5 updates over the air.

preview 4 came out last week for lion but was downloaded from developer page yesterday a update for 4 came out and that was done through software updates.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

would be cool though

They have to test the code in 5.0, because that is what will handle the OTA update to 5.1, not 5.1. So what happens when they push off testing to 5.x.x, and then find a killer bug? Then they can't push that update OTA at all.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
They have to test the code in 5.0, because that is what will handle the OTA update to 5.1, not 5.1. So what happens when they push off testing to 5.x.x, and then find a killer bug? Then they can't push that update OTA at all.

i doubt we will get 5.0 beta 2 OTA, think beta 2 will be a manual install, but with OTA then enabled for further updates after that. That's my guess anyway.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The OTA updates are "Delta" updates only, which means they don't re-download the entire OS, only the components which have been changed. This means that updates could be as small as a few hundred kilobytes, and probably not much larger than 40-50 mb (at least, I would hope not any larger than that).

From what I've seen using iOS 5 beta 1 so far, OTA updates appear to be initiated manually from the Settings app, so you could easily wait to do it until you're on a WiFi network if you're on a more restricted data plan.

The other important thing to note is that OTA updates may not even be enabled in beta 1 yet, and it's feasible we won't see them become a factor until later in the beta cycle. That said, I do think it's pretty reasonable to assume we'll see OTA updates during the beta and in time for iOS 5's public release this fall.

yeah thats all i would hope/expect is you have to manually select to update, when i read "push" to me that sounds like you dont have to click anything its just force sent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.