iOS5 beta issues (duplicated mail accounts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYRob94, Jun 19, 2011.

1. NYRob94 macrumors member

NYRob94

So far the only issue I had was I have duplicate mobile me email accounts (i think it's b/c when it went through the set-up process on the iphone i put in my mobileme account as opposed to skipping that step. I've been reading in all the forums and have not found a way to delete on of the account.
    Also in the forums I read this: "There will be a few more betas out but these betas expire so your phone will be a paper weight unless you downgrade so no more betas for me untill release of the real 5.0. "
    Is this true? When the iOS5 beta 2 comes out will I go about downloading and installing it the same way I did for iOS5 beta1? (By option clicking restore in itunes and selecting the .ipsw file?) Only thing that would suck about doing it that way again is I have to go through the whole restore process again which took me a few hours to sync my device, it went much slower than when you normally restore from a backup and all my folders where deleted so i had to sit there for about half an hour going through the 11 pages of apps I had and remake all the folders. Unless I did it wrong or someone has a solution for getting around that when the next beta 2 is out. I really don't want to go through that again.(FYI I had my iPhone registered by a developer for $7 so I don't think I'll have an issues)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Betas are not meant for the general public, and are not meant to be installed on your main device for reasons that you already know.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It's Beta, don't expect everything to be working perfectly.

4. shandyman Suspended

You'll have a few days or so to upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2.

i never had the duplicate email issue.

but by doing a beta, you're acknowledging you're gonna have some problems and that you will have to restore fromf fresh to have it work right each time. if you restore from backup, yea it will be quicker, but it will be sluggish. i did a few apps at a time, making the folders as i went. simple enough :)

5. NYRob94 thread starter macrumors member

NYRob94

No i completely understand that and I knew what I was getting into when I decided to put it on my iOS devices. I just think it's weird having the duplicate email accounts on my iPhone 4. I think if I restore it again and re download the iOS5beta and when I am given the option on my iphone to set up mobileme ill just ignore it. Do you think that will help?
    Putting iOS5 on my iPad went very smoothly. All the app and folders synced and my emails show up in notification center. (When i set up the iPad i tapped ignore when they assed about setting up the moblime emal)
    I just don't know why all my folders didnt sync on my iphone. Should I back it up with iOS5 on it and restore from that or restore from iOS4.3.3?
    Thanks for the comments,
    Rob

6. shandyman Suspended

folders only sync when you restore from a backup, but on a beta, restoring from a backup is a bad idea as the device just gets upset, causing sluggish behaviour, etc. always install as fresh, you'll just have to deal with making the folders again. but sync apps over a few at a time, so you can make the folders on the go and that.

as for email, i never had the problem, but i didn't have a mobile me account, set up an iCloud one tho. i guess if you skip the step and manually add it, should not have a problem

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for being a tester :D ! So first thing you should know about any IOS upgrades is that you shouldn't be restoring data from older backups. While I know that this seems a little counter-intuitive, it's actually going to prevent a lot of unregistered bugs from showing up and also post-processing on the iOS device. This is standard procedure for most beta testers and developers.

The second thing you should know is that Apple has taken a stance where the 2 major accounts they prefer to work with are Gmail and MS Exchange. I used to remember when exchange active sync was crap on the iPhone but through iOS3 to iOS4, they've made so many base changes that the technology just works awesome now (better than MS Windows Mobile and Windows Phone ever were). If you're using MobileMe, please stop and don't run it anymore. It uses an ancient synchronization scheme that doesn't work well.

Third thing you should know is that folder synchronization comes from the Settings --> Mail, Calendar, Contacts --> (your mail account) --> Mail Folders to Push. That will allow you to choose which folders you need to sync. Restores are designed to mainly be a backup from a single OS version. The code isn't optimized for cross-OS version restore for some odd reason. So rule of thumb is to restore only from a single OS version otherwise, the device may have problems.

8. shandyman Suspended

That's why you use iCloud instead now :p

9. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Why do you think posting about this on MacRumors is going to do *any* good? You are discussing confidential Apple software, which means you are breaking the NDA (a legal document you agreed to), or you are running beta software illegally.

Please only discuss iOS 5.0 beta in the Apple developer forums on Apple.com

10. NYRob94 thread starter macrumors member

NYRob94

you're right, I'm sorry and I will not longer be posting on this site. Thanks for the info

11. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Oh, don't scare away posters. The duplicated account thing has been in existence all throughout the iOS versions. The issue was more common in previous versions but iOS5 as a beta would be expected to have these kind of issues. It's not a violation of NDA to assist in non-NDA material such as this mail duplication.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No one is saying that you shouldn't post on this forum, and I understand that the MacRumors Forum is a very large community and many of us are willing to help people troubleshoot certain issues.

The problem is that right now iOS 5 is in beta stage and many of us do not have this version on our device, and currently this forum is being over taken with people reporting issues/bugs that most of us can't help fix, not to mention the fact that the betas are under NDA (wether you're a developer or just a registered user).

For this reason betas are not meant for the general public, their purpose is for:

1.Developers to test out their current apps to make sure that the new OS won't break functionality.
    2.Developers to create new apps or add new APIs to their apps.
    3.For Developers or beta testers to log and report issues/bugs so that Apple can address them in a later update.

Apple has set-up a forum for Developers to communicate with other Developers and Beta testers, a forum were other people are more likely to have similar issues and ways to resolve them
    https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

Apple has also set-up a section for Developers and Beta testers to report those issues/bugs they are experiencing (if you don't report it, Apple can't fix them)
    https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa/29/wo/DOVyY1Wli4rnt1BviPKqqg/4.17

13. err404 macrumors 68020

I respectfully disagree. Upgrades are going to be common in the real world ater iOS5 ships so Apple needs the feed back from the beta. Also if this introduces issues into your application, it is good to at least be aware of it now.
    Personally I start with an regular restore, and if I find any issues I perform a "reset all settings". This will delete most OS level config data, while preserving your application data. I reserve a clean install as being a last resort. This has worked very well for me and is much more convient then assuming all of your data must be deleted annually.