iOS5 crashing frequently

Discussion in 'iPad' started by calvinspif, Jul 14, 2011.

1. calvinspif macrumors newbie

I'm new to the developer program and I installed ios5 beta on my iPad. Its cool but am having constant problems with my apps crashing or not even working at all. Even Safari will just quit out no where and it happens a lot. Is this happening to others or is it just me?

2. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Beta 3 hasn't been as great as the expectations.
    However, there is a strong sentiment that non developers should medel with betas regardless if they pay for the apple license to use it like everyone else.

I just wonder why the release of iOS 5 as a beta was announced so early?

3. Cha macrumors regular

To give developers the time to test/change and/or use the new APIs.

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

It's beta software for developers to program/test against. That's why there are plenty of warnings not to install it on any device you want to use reliably.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

I have found the Beta to be very unstable on my iPad (original). Most apps will crash within a few minutes of displaying a uiwebview. It's probably not even worth testing your apps at this stage of the Beta. Stay on 4.3.3 for now.
    On the other hand, my iPhone 4 has been pretty stable outside of some rendering issues.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Beta 3 was actually terrible. I couldn't use it for a whole day. I think beta 2 operated slightly better to be honest. But I'm holding out till the final release. I have no software in development that needs me to test it on iOS 5 :)

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Honestly people, it's a developer only beta for a reason, what did you expect?

8. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

There's always one that comes out with that line.

Everyone knows that it's a beta and it's gonna be flakey. There's no harm in talking about it.

Incidentally I've found beta 3 much less stable than the previous builds.

9. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but it's the intellectual equivalent of making a new thread saying "the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning." What's the point in making a thread saying that beta software has bugs?

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

There are a lot of changes in iOS 5, developers are going to be busy for a while.

I'm up to my elbows in new code making things work with new API's and working around depreciated ones.

The iOS Platform is maturing very quickly, much faster than the Windows SDK did (back in the day.)

At this point, just focus on your own App, and making it work properly. Assume 3rd party Apps aren't going to work.

If you only have 1 iPad I would recommend leaving it at iOS 4.x and working with iOS 5.x in the simulator for a little bit longer. (or picking up a 2nd iPad to do testing with.)

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I have no problem with people using the beta or talking about it. I myself use the beta. But I find it annoying when people Call the beta "terrible" it's a beta it's normally "terrible" compared to the current firmware.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. However Beta 3 specifically on my iPad (original) is so unstable that it's is almost pointless to use it as a testing platform at this time. Due to this, I feel that it is justifiable to call it 'terrible'.
    I'm not really concerned about it because I assume that Apple's focus is on the phone first. I'm sure that the iPad optimizations are coming.

13. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Yeah I agree, talking about bugs on general forums is not a bad thing, if you dont want to read it then ignore it, simple as that. As with most things in life that dont directly effect you.

Also my B3 has been horrible on my ipad, apps crash way more and also my safari is almost unusable. I ended up going back to B2 on it.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Your supposed to test apps and if your app is crashing alot and the app is impossible to test in iOS5 then you need to work on your app to make it work.
    As I said I don't mind people talking about bugs and I don't mind people discussing the betas. I just find it annoying when people say it's "terrible", it's a beta for a reason.
    Safari is fine for me, Atomic web browser which is use heaps crashes way more than safari. I spend probably 30 mins in atomic and 10 mins in safari each day in total.

16. zurichuk macrumors regular

17. err404, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

That's my point. App crashes are very frequent and inconsistent in B3. Most appear to be related to outstanding issues in the OS memory management as opposed to the code. This makes it difficult to perform any real testing in B3 beyond cursory validations.
    These are normal Beta issues. Still B3 seems better suited towards iPhone testing than iPad (1) testing. I'd stick to the simulator for now.
    BTW, is your iPad a first or second gen? I'd expect the iPad2 to fair better due to the extra RAM.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

My iPad is the 2nd gen. The beta runs "okay" on my iphone 4 but still crashes on occasion. I actually have a 1st and 2nd gen iPad and have noticed the second gen is slightly better regarding memory and crashes.