iOS5 - Crazy they aint fixed this yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kultschar, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

So I open email app, create new email go to attach a photo........err hang on I cant do this

This is such a basic ommission I cant believe it

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Personally Id say the lack of an sbsettings type controls is a much bigger omission...

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

This still isn't fixed? Wow.

4. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Copy and paste the email from your photos app. Done.

5. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Yes this works fine. Copy and paste the picture into your email.

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I do this ALL the time !!!! start typing an email to a mate then goto attach a picture and can't D'OH

I then have to go into the Camera Roll and press and hold on the picture and select Copy then go back into my email and press and hold on the blank space and select Paste

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

It can't be that hard to implement either. Loads of other apps use it and probably in the new cards app it'll have the same layout to choose a photo so it will hopefully come soon.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

That's a headache though. I like to send multiple pictures, so this forces me to have to keep going back to the photos app to get each individual pic.

9. protobiont macrumors 6502a

It's almost like they have to keep something held back to throw in a future release.

10. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup I know i can do this but come on that method is a bit of a joke really in a email app

----------

Yup this was my exact scenario, back and forth etc. totally ridiculous!!

11. goldstarqc macrumors member

You do realize that you can only do it once if you know the pictures you want to attach, you start the email, you go in photo, you click on the arrow, you select multiple pictures, then click the copy button. You go back to your email and paste, all your selected photos will be copied to the email you are writing.

12. Picka macrumors member

Having switched from IP4 to SGS2, here's what I think is desperately missing from iOS:

1. True multi-tasking, for god sake how hard can it be to implement.
    2. Widgets, make Android dynamic and fun to use. No one wants to stare at the endless screens of icons.
    3. Safari, needs upgrades BADLY.
    4. A file system. Amazing that this hasn't been implemented yet.
    5. Customization, themes, etc. Really basic stuff that is supported by any other OS.
    6. Simple navigation system. On Android you can ask google voice the way home. Then it simply gives you standard or Turn by turn Navigation. It has been able to do this for ages, why is it still missing on iOS???
    7. Ability to switch keyboards. Swype is a godsend.
    8. No video calls over 3g... why not. 4g speeds make this a non issue.

There's many more little things that I could go on about but the post is getting rather long.

13. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Its stupid......you can send post cards from the phone.....but cant attach a photo in the email app:confused:?

What gets me is apple talks the best game on their features they add to the phone.....making it the best upgrade to date......hyping the ish out of it...

Then, to find out.......you still cant attach a photo from within the mail app LOLOLOLOL

But when they do implement this feature.....it will be groundbreaking :eek:

Steve.....your the man sir.

14. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still clunky and daft to have to switch apps - needs fixing pronto! Kind of thing an old person would struggle with

15. Surrix macrumors regular

By pressing the button in the upper right of Photos, you can select multiple pictures(up to 5 I think) at once to Copy/Paste.

I do agree this is crappy though. The typical workflow is start email, attach picture, not the other way around.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think this is stupid too! I hate having to go out the e-mail, then into the photos apps to copy the picture, then back into the e-mail...just dumb. It should be a button within the e-mail app like "Choose Photo" and it'll take you right into the photos application, choose the picture, back into e-mail..bam, thats it.

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you already have iOS 5, then you are a developer. So write an app that does what you want. But if you were a developer, you wouldnt be violating the Dev agreement by posting here.

18. kultschar, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha - nope im not a dev and I do have iOS5 like millions of us non devs do!!!!

Don't give a toss that I put it on my phone either!! :D I know the risks, I'm aware it will be buggy etc however that is not the case in this instance. This is not a bug but a basic feature that is missing since the iPhones first launch. Smartphone has a camera, has email but no way to attach a pic directly from within email? Sorry but that is a big oversight. Imagine not being able to link to your contacts via the phone but having to go into the contacts app and copying the phone number, back out to the phone app and pasting it back in??

Its a basic feature I'm afraid mate, if there are apps available to buy to do this then I'm certainly not buying it additionally as in my view its a feature that should be standard with a smart phone. I mean would you buy an app that allows you to make a call?

This is simply an astounding mistake / oversight by Apple, I'm not trying to purposely bash Apple here because I love them, however I'm really scratching my head with this one and how they have missed it!

19. Gordonw macrumors member

Has the photo library changed in iOS5? If I plan on emailing a picture, I go to the photo library, select the the photo, then select the left arrow on the bottom which brings up a list. Then I select the email photo at the top of the list which then opens the email app with the photo already attached. Its a little backwards but works.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You do know you can go to the Photos app, select multiple pictures at the same time, and create an email with all of the selected pictures already attached, yes? No need to go back and forth to copy/paste one at a time.

21. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

A simple attachment button is require in the email app, its daft to even have to go into the photo app in the first place.

Often I write an email and decide to attach a photo later, which requires the copy and paste method

----------

Yeah works fine still but like you say is backwards!! Most people compose an email first and attach last!

22. phreebsd macrumors regular

23. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

They're working on a revolutionary way of attaching pictures to email that will change email as we know it. Just be patient...we'll get it by iOS 7.

24. Surrix macrumors regular

It's impossible to write an app that alters the default Mail app. Anything less than adding an Attach button (a common feature in every other mail client ever) to the compose window in the mail client would completely fail to solve this problem.

Lame suggestion from the Developer Police.

25. bgro macrumors 6502a

I love iOS but I completely agree that this is a sorely missed feature. Despite being able to go into the photos app and copy/paste into the message, it's a complete p.i.t.a. Other apps have access to the photos app there is absolutely no reason why apple can't make this happen.

Especially with the lack of MMS when the iPhone first came out and said people can just email pictures etc, this should have been baked into the OS from Day 1.