Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roletti2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
i was wondering if anyone has news on the custom text tones for IOS5, i know you can buy them once IOS5 is released. but can you make them yourself like the ringtones? and if so is it the same way? what would the extension be? m4r is for ringtones, so what would it be for texting tones. thanks

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Yes you can make your txt tone just like ringtones. I have some windows 7 txt tones. Yes its the same way you make your ringtones. The extension is the same m4r that is as of now.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's a little messy actually because they show up as ringtones. I've got my labeled as Text Tone - filename to distinguish my text tones from my ringtones (some are just shortened versions of some of my ringtones).

I hope Apple plans on fixing this before the public release as it's really not clean and what I would expect from them.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    74 KB · Views: 72

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting a long time for custom SMS tones, I finally have no more reason to JB, or no more compelling reasons.

thank you apple for after 4 itterations of IOS for adding such a simple feature.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
i was wondering if anyone has news on the custom text tones for IOS5, i know you can buy them once IOS5 is released. but can you make them yourself like the ringtones? and if so is it the same way? what would the extension be? m4r is for ringtones, so what would it be for texting tones. thanks

just so you know, if you had searched, you'd find about 3-4 threads about custom SMS tones, 2 of which have links to various tones that people are recommending to download :)

basically you can have custom SMS tones, and also Email tones and they all use the same library as ringtones on your phone, they go on and get applied in the same way as ringtones. Simples.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I'm on beta 5 and can change my tones but my custom tones aren't showing up under anything except Ringtone. When i go to text tone, they aren't there.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm on beta 5 and can change my tones but my custom tones aren't showing up under anything except Ringtone. When i go to text tone, they aren't there.

what you mean?

when you go into sounds and select Text Tone, scroll down past all the alert tones, there's then the heading Ringtones and all custom tones on the device are there to choose from.

i had to reset up my custom tones for calls and SMS for contacts on updating to iOS5 which sucked, but it was no biggy.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
When I go to Sounds then Text Tones, my custom tones don't show up anywhere, but when I go to Sounds then Ringtones, they show up.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
When I go to Sounds then Text Tones, my custom tones don't show up anywhere, but when I go to Sounds then Ringtones, they show up.

have you scrolled all the way down? if so then it's a glitch on your end, i had a problem with some not showing up after updating. try removing and re-adding them all. failing that, wipe and restore from backup, failing that, do it as a clean install. Or just wait until the next beta on 17/08/11 to see if that fixes the glitch

i'm running iOS5 beta 5 and i see them under ringtones, text tones and email tones.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yea i dont get the option either, im on ios 5 beta 5.........

under Settings -> General -> sounds -> Text Tone, then scroll down past buy new tones, none, the alert tones section which starts with Alert, there's then a section that says ringtones, starting with your custom ringtones you have copied to the device (check in itunes that you have copied the tones to the device, make sure on ringtones section in itunes that all the ringtones are not greyed out as this means they have not copied, so you need to remove and then re-add them), then below that is the stock ringtones section starting with Marimba.

Also, when you updated to iOS 5, did you do it OTA? if so, then did you erase contents and settings before doing the OTA update?

here's how it looks on mine

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    79.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Anyone care to share their custom text tones..? Im tired of the apple default!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Mac Startup Bong
Old Spice Whistle

Just unzip, drag to iTunes and sync.

Enjoy ;)

Attachments

• Text Tone - Mac Startup.m4r.zip
    54 KB · Views: 110
  • Text Tone - Old Spice Whistle.m4r.zip
    80.8 KB · Views: 114

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I went through all of the proper steps when updating to beta 5. I got this working though. I just had to re-sync all of my tones.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
thanks for the Old Spice Whistle text tone

I placed the text tone in the Ringtone folder in iTunes, how can I use it as a text tone, just hook it up to iTunes? Sorry for such a newbie question. :apple:

I read up on this and found the answer thanks anyways. :)

Last edited:

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US

That's going to be awesome, yet I do like the sound of the default text tone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.