Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
lost email, contacts, messages, notes, photoroll, on ios5 upgrade.
I do have a dial tone, i guess that's something:(

1) I tried online suggestions and nothing worked.
2) i do not have a second computer.
3) can I go back to older ios and retreive my data?
4) rebooting and selecting restore from backup fails.

Please help.

Thanks

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks seanfranklin.

It was only able to find a few notes and voice mails. no other data was found.

i have done backups regularly and had no issues restoring this data in the past.

Apple should mention in bold letters that you will loose this date during the upgrade. This would at least provide an opportunity to save this data other ways.
This is something I would expect from microsoft, not apple.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks seanfranklin.

It was only able to find a few notes and voice mails. no other data was found.

i have done backups regularly and had no issues restoring this data in the past.

Apple should mention in bold letters that you will loose this date during the upgrade. This would at least provide an opportunity to save this data other ways.
This is something I would expect from microsoft, not apple.

Have you tried holding Shift (option on mac) and clicking Restore from Backup, then selecting a different, older backup?

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Have you tried holding Shift (option on mac) and clicking Restore from Backup, then selecting a different, older backup?

You can force a restore from the backup. If you use windows point your cursor to the iphone, right click the mouse, and a menu should fall down where an option to restore from backup will be present.
From a mac point at the iphone, do the double tap thing to get the options and one of those will be restore from backup. Select the latest sync and there you go.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Apple does. I saw it myself yesterday, but only because I updated on my work PC which is not where I sync. Once I had iOS 5, I was able to go home and restore my data from a backup. It sounds like you updated on a machine that you weren't synced with.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I have windows. wanted imac for next computer. this is putting a dent in my decision.

I tried restore but receive a message it failed because the backup session failed.
The drop down only has the latest backup. There is only one ipsw file. It was updated before the ios update.

I have all apps. I can setup the email accounts again. and recreate group folders.

I would like my text history and photoroll back. Call history would be nice also.

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Is this possible?

1 restore iphone to factory defaut (prior ios5).
2 restore backed up data taken before ios5 upgrade.
3 backup sms, contacts, photos.
4 perform ios5 update again.

thanks

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Is this possible?

1 restore iphone to factory defaut (prior ios5).
2 restore backed up data taken before ios5 upgrade.
3 backup sms, contacts, photos.
4 perform ios5 update again.

thanks

Yes. I upgraded to iOS 5 at work and it wiped my phone completely (like it said it would). I went home and restored from my 4.3.5 backup and everything was there. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.