iOS5 GM Battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OC513, Oct 6, 2011.

1. OC513 macrumors 6502

So I installed iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 the other night and my battery life is HORRENDOUS. Is this the case for everyone or is it just me? Maybe I should do a restore and try it again? Thoughts?

2. vebs macrumors regular

Mine is fine, I restored and set up as a new device.

3. supervelous macrumors 6502

Not enough time with it to tell, but if you are using location based reminders, I think it will drain your battery faster, as it needs to have the GPS always on to know where you're going.

4. OC513 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. When setting up as a new device you lose all the data on your apps though.....is that correct?

5. lroy12 macrumors newbie

That is correct.

Personally, I just restored, then synced to the backup that I had. Everything is fine as far as battery life goes... and i have all my old data :apple:

6. OC513 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thats what I did as well and it went fine but my battery life is horrendous. I am getting like 3 or 4 hours in standby and it goes dead. I will restore again and see if it helps. Thanks guys.

7. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I'm losing 1% battery every 30 minutes on standby on my iPhone 4, when i used to be able to go 10 hours standby without losing 1%. this is garbage.

8. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Yesterday I got 8 hours up from 6 hours on 4.3.3

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Battery life on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 are normal. I installed iOS 5 via restore the synced my last backup. Maybe you are using some apps that are not "ios5 ready"?

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Same here as @ChupaChupa, no discernable difference in battery life.

One thing in iOS5 that will suck the battery dry seems to be geo-aware reminders due to keeping the GPS running. Haven't tested extensively so I could be wrong.

@Tom8: Is the GPS-active icon showing at the top of the screen? Have you rebooted the phone and the same behavior exists?

11. Gdgtguru macrumors member

I am noticing extreme battery loss as well moving from beta 7 to the GM. I have narrowed it down to my work Exchange account. When that is removed, battery life is back to normal.

Also, if I go into Settings, About, Diagnostics & Usage, Diagnostics & Usage Data, there is a crash report for MobileMail.

12. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

@chupa chupa when i've left it on standby over night, no Apps were open, so it couldn't have been that

@deeddawg Nope, i don't have any location based reminders set up for today. I've just restored my phone again, so we'll see how that goes.

13. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

My battery life actually improved slightly on IOS 5GM versus 4.3.5 on my iPhone 4. Bonus!

14. tann macrumors 68000

I have a question, if you leave wifi/data/3g/bluetooth on and have notifications enabled what do you think the battery life would be like? Coupled with 30-40mins of web browsing over the day. would it last 10+ hours? or not lol.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

@tann: difficult to say since the single most important factor is how strong a cell signal you have. In a weak signal area the phone boosts output power and drains the battery much more quickly than if it's in a very strong signal area.

I've not paid attention on iOS5GM for how much the gps based notifications affect things, but prior usage like you describe would usually see battery drop from 100% in the morning to 60% around dinner time; I'm in a fairly good signal area.

16. Gdgtguru macrumors member

Do you have an Exchange account setup?

17. tann macrumors 68000

Thanks for the reply :) really appreciate it!.

18. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I installed it on my 4, iPad 2 and 3GS. THe iPad 2 and 3GS seem the same. The iPhone 4 I am really impressed by. I am getting great battery life with PUSH on. I have turned push on before and always turned it back off since I didn't want to lose the battery life, but this time I am hardly noticing.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I set up Gmail as an Exchange account. In the past I'd also had my work email set up via Exchange but have more recently decided I didn't need to be quite as available. :)

20. Gdgtguru macrumors member

Nice, I would love to do the same, but pretty sure that won't fly!

Is there a chance you could remove that account temporarily to see if it resolves the battery woes? I am curious to see if it is any Exchange account that causes the issue, or only specific servers.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not sure I understand... I'm getting solid battery life, so I don't know what disabling the Google gmail exchange account would accomplish?

22. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

23. Gdgtguru macrumors member

Sorry, I was thinking you too were having battery issues.

24. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

If anything I'm getting better battery life since going to 5.0

25. OC513 thread starter macrumors 6502

I restored mine again yesterday and the battery is MUCH better. Good luck to you.