iOS5 + iCloud - Make JB impossible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MattZani, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If the iCloud is constantly backing up your phone, Apple will definitely know if your iPhone is Jailbroken no?

Constant updating OTA etc could mean its impossible for JB'ers to continue, at least how they currently do? To me it seems Apple have found the weak spot of the iPhone, the PC it connects to, thats how you JB (JBMe aside), by removing the PC, you can't JB?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

hmm...does seem like it.

looks like icloud is going up today...they just switched over the domain to point to apple.com/icloud

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

That's the first thought that popped into my mind. If iOS updates are automatic OTA, that would make JB a PITA and worthless.

Do we know if there's an option to turn it off yet?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

there should be, not just for jailbreakers but not everyone has unlimited data, even if it was wifi only not everyone wants to wast a half gig of their bandwith everytime apple descides to make an update

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just saw that, but its features most people want.

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

that's a good point for those who have a tiered data plan, I'm assuming the updates are pushed via wifi only, as they currently are for big files, unless they do away with that as well.

8. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

NVM, interesting. Definitely can't wait for this update.

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

boring...nothing for a couple of months. lame.

10. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

iOS5.X updates are Delta, only downloading what you need, not sure how much each X.X.X update adds but I can't imagine its loads.

iCloud is also free.

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm really torn here. The jailbreaking community has been a fantastic way for all of us to get our devices to do the things that Apple hasn't baked in yet, but with each (major) iOS version that list gets smaller and smaller. As much as Apple seems to "discourage" jailbreaking, a lot of good ideas developed by jailbreakers seem to pop up in iOS eventually.

I'm thinking that we're going to have to wait until the iOS 5 dev preview is out, or maybe until the real launch to see how all of this works.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

hopefully its less then 1MB becasue some only have 250-500MB a month so anything over a MB i only download on wifi

13. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'd imagine the updates are done only over wifi, when you ask them to, very few people will feel the need to update while out and about.

14. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I can see a service that that points the OTA updates to updates stored somewhere else that have been modified to be JB friendly. May be free, or it might cost, as it does take bandwidth.

15. IrishVixen, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is what worries me. OTA updates make it hard to roll back voluntarily if you need to, hard to preserve baseband for unlocking, and damn hard to keep a JB in some instances. (Though my JB'd Kindle got OTA updates for a year without killing the JB--Amazon doesn't care.)

Plus, on the non JB side, every firmware update slows my phone (same thing with the computer). Most add features I don't want or need. Having this function without a kill switch on the USER's end drives me nuts.

I'll be interested to see what they do with this.

Edited to add: tweet from MuscleNerd a few minutes ago--

16. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well, from my understanding, we have the option to disable it, but it is ON by default. Not sure if this means that by syncing manually it auto updates the software, or we would have the option to still turn it off.

17. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

I can't believe they aren't ready to deploy iOS5 and icloud right now, with all the competitors already releasing there product.

18. jm821 macrumors newbie

There is nothing to worry about. The JB community has always been out thinking, out smarting, and always ahead of apples game. Most of the features presented today are ideas from JB devs. So this is nothing new.

RT @MuscleNerd: over-the-air delta updates of iOS should be fine for JBers (even if Apple didn't let you disable them, the JB itself can)

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    any more recent schools of thought on this topic since 6 June?

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Again nobody really knows for sure how things work until 5.0 is out and running. This is rumor speculation however plausible. But this is why I wait a while after a major firmware update like this comes out. A bunch of people will try 5.0 as soon as it comes out. Tethered or non tethered. Then I wait a month or so and hear there trails and tribulations and decide what I want to do.