iOS5/iCloud Podcast Subscriptions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rstark18, Oct 8, 2011.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I don't see a way to deal with subscriptions in iOS5 and iCloud. Anyone have any ideas?

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Don't understand what you are asking. Are you trying to backup your podcast to iCloud?

3. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, let me clarify. Prior to iOS5 and iCloud, Apples way of dealing with podcast subscriptions was with iTunes. Every time you plugged in your phone it would download the latest podcast, etc.
    Now with iCloud and PC-less syncing and backup I don't see anyway to automatically receive your subscribed podcasts. I would have thought Apple would have considered this in their cloud strategy.

4. MattLafferty macrumors member

MattLafferty

I would have thought that as well. I'm a huge consumer (and occasional maker) of podcasts, and I had all but assumed that iOS 5 would mean easy subscriptions. :confused:

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Get the Downcast app. Syncs your podcasts OTA and works perfectly. Much better for downloading and playing podcasts than the OEM apps from Apple.

6. rstark18, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny that I never really considered an app to manage podcasts. iTunes has always been good enough as I like to do daily backups anyway.

The first app I tried (because it was free) was Mediafly. The interface isn't clean enough for me. Next I tried Downcast. The reason this was next on my list was because of the clean interface. It didn't have many reviews but the ones it had were positive. So far I'm REALLY liking it. Thanks for the nudge to get me to try this new way of listening to podcasts. I know everyone gets used to and promotes the app that works for them but if anyone knows of features that their "favorite" has that Downcast might not, then post them so I can determine if I missing a feature that I didn't even know was out there.