Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Got the latest GM on my iPhone and use Google Apps for my business. The main reason I have to go into the gMail webapp is to do proper searches. When I heard this was a feature I was pretty excited.

It however never works. Im typing in all sorts of combinations (to, from, subject, text in body) and its always coming back with no results. Does this just not work with gMail (or Google Apps) and a feature reserved for me.com only or something?

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wow this really really sucks. I really love gMail but this is almost a deal breaker since I am on the go so much. I suppose just about any traditional email would work instead of gMail if I wanted to switch right? Anyone know if there is any timeline for the fix?
It's been broken since inception. There will likely be no 'fix'.

Accept it, or move elsewhere.

You already know the work around. What kills me are how drafts don't sync =( I miss that from my old mobileme account.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Well I need to think if this move outweighs not moving...

I dont use labels or filters. I do use threaded conversations (a must), like gMails anti-spam, and powerful fast search. If I move to self hosted (its for business) I love that so ultimately is threaded conversations, anti-spam, and search > mobile sync.

I guess Im staying where I am...

Thanks again!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It works great on my iPad 2 with GMail, but it doesn't indicate to you very well that it's working...

Here, go search in "All" for the contents of an email, and make sure to WAIT a few seconds. You'll see, after those few seconds have passed, a spinning load icon in the menu bar, and then it will show you the results of your search. If you don't wait, it's like it's not working and no results populate.

In any case, it does work, and is definitely one of the features of iOS 5 I was looking forward to.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Well I need to think if this move outweighs not moving...

I dont use labels or filters. I do use threaded conversations (a must), like gMails anti-spam, and powerful fast search. If I move to self hosted (its for business) I love that so ultimately is threaded conversations, anti-spam, and search > mobile sync.

I guess Im staying where I am...

Thanks again!

If you go hosted, go Office 365 for MS Exchange.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
It works great on my iPad 2 with GMail, but it doesn't indicate to you very well that it's working...

Here, go search in "All" for the contents of an email, and make sure to WAIT a few seconds. You'll see, after those few seconds have passed, a spinning load icon in the menu bar, and then it will show you the results of your search. If you don't wait, it's like it's not working and no results populate.

In any case, it does work, and is definitely one of the features of iOS 5 I was looking forward to.

It ALWAYS says no results found for me... I actually have my own server I just loved gMail so much went with the apps account. Im constantly flip flopping on app choices and workflows but email... that such a big one Im just going to wait until there is more of a reason to jump ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.