iOS5 on 3GS???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lg7594, Aug 13, 2011.

1. lg7594 macrumors newbie

I remember when ios4 came out. A friend had an iphone 3g and he updated to ios4 on his phone. Apple stated that ios4 worked on the 3g but my friend told me that his phone got very slow. Its battery only lasted like 2 hours and it was overheating. I saw the video of the polish guy with ios5 beta on his 3gs but had anybody done the same thing and can tell me if there is a difference in speed from ios4 to ios5 on a 3gs?? will it work just fine?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your friend is talking out of his bum a little. Yes the 3G is a little slower but it dosnt suffer overheating or 2hr battery issues!!

3. jonrando, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

jonrando macrumors 6502a

Well the iPhone 3G can't support iOS 5, but the 3GS can.

Speed is probably a little better (I don't have a 3GS though), as it seems to be on all devices. (I've watched videos where people demoed it.) The 3GS has 99% of the features in iOS 5 and it will work fine. Apple won't put out an update that'll mess up the phone as I'm sure they've learned from iOS 4 on the 3G.

Here's iOS 5 on a 3GS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EqVGaxtok

Performance is probably better at this point as the person in the video is demoing beta 1 and it's currently at beta 5.

4. shandyman Suspended

actually beta 5, but beta 6 is due wednesday

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

6. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

iOS 5 is a truly multitasking OS, while it will work acceptable on 3GS, it will shine on multi-core hardware, like new upcoming iPads and iPhones

7. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Actually, that's not completely unheard-of. I wouldn't say seriously overheating, but my old 3G got a bit warm, and I did sometimes see more like a...5 hour battery. He was just exaggerating a bit. The point is, 3G on iOS 4 sucks.

However, I have seen videos and read reports of iOS 5 Beta on 3GS, and they all say it seems to run pretty much fine.

8. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

My battery lasts 2-3 days depending.... It will usually last 1 day if used heavily... My iPhone 3G never got warm while in use (only when charging).

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The difference in multi-tasking between iOS4 and iOS5 is practically nil.
    Where are you getting this from?

I've run every iOS5 beta on my 3GS and there is no noticeable speed or performance lag when compared to iOS4.
    There have been some hiccups and lockups yes, but that it almost certainly due to it being a beta. Same with the battery life. Some betas have had good battery life and others have been horrible.
    Speed, performance, and battery life should all be very comparable to iOS4 provided one doesn't overdo it with the new notification system.

10. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I think he is talking about the hardware... Not software...

11. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Wasn't paying attention, sorry 'bout that.

12. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

Multitasking in iOS4 is sorta an "extension" to the iOS. It looks like a multitasking OS, but in fact, it's more of a cooperative multitasking which relies on apps to give CPU share to the next in line (example: remember when we had Windows 95, you put floppy disk in the drive and the whole system will freeze for few seconds while the floppy is read? Windows 95 was cooperative "multitasking" OS)

iOS5 seems to be a complete rewrite to take into account the multi-core nature of the new iDevices. iOS 5 works on one-core systems, but may have hiccups as the single core CPU is struggling to run many apps at the same time, where iOS4 is running one app at a time slice (very little slice of time giving the illusion of the multitasking).

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm confused or you are. I thought iOS 4 and 5 wasn't true multitasking, but merely stored a program's 'state' for when you ran it again. Isn't that why Steve Jobs said you never needed to kill a program?