ios5 question. streaming from ipad to tv wirelessly.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skoo9382, Sep 27, 2011.

1. skoo9382 macrumors newbie

i took a look at the ios5 "commercial" they had on the apple website and it shows that you can stream whatever is on your ipad directly to your tv wirelessly, do you need to have apple tv to do this?

i'm wondering because i want to know if i should buy the Digital AV adapter or if i should just wait it out.

2. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

im sure you need the ATV2 to do it.....you can airplay a lot of content from the ipad to the ATV2 already, and with a few 3rd party apps you can display some things to the ATV2 as well.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

With the new crop of "smart" TVs DLNA allows most android tablets/phones to send media straight to those TVs. I'm guessing the iPad will also be able to if the TV has WiFi and DLNA.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. cinca macrumors regular

This was something announced and shown at the last big Apple event and (as of them) it required an iPad 2 (important if this is important and you are considering getting an original iPad) and you need an Apple TV. As you mentioned in your original posting it's an iOS5 thing and this feature won't be available until iOS5 is officially out and on your ipad2 and you update your Apple TV to the latest version of it's iOS as well (currently only in Beta). Oh -- also (just to make this totally clear) this is only a feature of the latest small black box Apple TV's -- not the earlier version.

As for DLNA tv's and media players (which someone else posted about) there are a few iPad apps that let you connect to and stream content from a DLNA-compliant server (or server program running on your Mac or PC) but there currently are DLNA-compliant apps for the iPad2 that will let you stream FROM your iPad and I don't think there are likely to be any Airplay being such an easy and useful option for the vast majority of people looking for something that "just works".

Good luck..!