iOS5 - Stop Auto Updates to save 3G data

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slimbek, Aug 2, 2011.

1. slimbek macrumors regular

Hi all,

We'll be purchasing a 3G iPad soon for the grandparent... the goal being that instead of learning a computer (they've no idea) the 3G iPad will liberate them and keep things simple.
    They'll have minimal use, so relying on 3G is fine, but I know iOS5 will have auto updating... that could really eat into the 3G and get expensive fast.

So simple question:
    Is there any way to switch off automatic updates in iOS5?

Thanks

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

iOS updates are not automatic (if beta 4 is to go by), you simply get told an update is available and you then confirm to download the system update

3. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

If I remember correctly from the keynote, the iOS updates will only be for things that change, meaning that the OTA updates will not be 600MB. They will be much smaller.

4. slimbek thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok. So they aren't automatic as much as they are just notified, over the air updates...
    With auto iTunes syncing instead?

5. freemini macrumors regular

freemini

My iPad 2 downloaded beta 4 automatically, it was over wifi though. I noticed that my iPhone 4 uses 3G data for no reason(connected to wifi all the time, but 3G usage keeps going up) so I turn off Cellular Data at home..