iOS5 upgrade clarification for a noob

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sheza, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Hey,

I'm just checking to make sure: I want iOS5 and there's clearly no (untethered) JB for it yet. That's cool, I don't care about a JB too much.

So do I just plug in my iPhone and accept the update? (NB. I don't use a JB unlock anyway I'm factory unlocked) and then the iPhone will just delete Cydia and all my JB stuff?

Just worried in case I update, it finds the JB and bricks the phone or something.

Cheers!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i doubt it since this isnt the first iOS update since Jailbreaking has been around, and since the update wipes your jailbreak im not sure apple cares you were jailbroken since the update will remove it

3. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

i updated from a jb 4.3.1 to the IOS 5 GM and it was fine not sure if it will be different in the final build though

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

it'll be like any other update. Just make sure you have iTunes 10.5. Once its released, plug in, hit updated if you have too, accept the update and it should do the install.

I wonder how it will be when the official release but when i updated to the first iOS5 Beta 1 i lost all my contacts, even a restore wouldnt take it. I would suggest off loading the contacts to Outlook, Gmail or good ole emailing yourself the contacts just in case.

Edit: Yes it'll wipe off your JB. It wont brick your phone or anything.