Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engaged44

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
when it does come out will people like me who have jail broken their iphones be able to upgrade to ios5 and STILL be jailbroken? how is this going to work because i want ios 5 and still want to be able to tether with mywi :(

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
when it does come out will people like me who have jail broken their iphones be able to upgrade to ios5 and STILL be jailbroken? how is this going to work because i want ios 5 and still want to be able to tether with mywi :(

no updating firmwares erases the jailbreak, so you would have to wait untill a jailbreak is found for ios 5

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
At first, it might be that using a utility to generate a custom image to flash using pwnagetool is what people do at first, so the iOS 5 rev is pre-jailbroken.

However, for those with this year's iPhone, it will be waiting a few months before a JB is available. It might be a few months, it may be longer. Apple is getting better at the lockdown game, and has bested everyone for almost nine months now with the baseband update. Hopefully a JB isn't going to take this long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.