iOS5B5 & iTunes 10.5b5 nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RedRallyeZ, Aug 16, 2011.

1. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just updated to 10.7.1 and thats where my issues started. Long story, ill try to summarize at the end.

I have always had my iTunes set to "prevent devices from syncing automatically" and for whatever reason, my phone started syncing anyway. Once it did that, it erased ALL of my music and TV shows (erasing my media automatically has been an issue since 10.5B5, however it wasn't a big deal because i just blocked it from syncing automatically)

My problem comes now that all my media is gone, but instead of allowing the phone to sync all of my stuff back on, iTunes shows that it is finding a "new" phone. The only options that it gives me are to set up as a new phone or to set up from a backup of an old phone (most of my backups are outdated, as I have been using iCloud because of the aforementioned iTunes issue) so of course, i can't sync the media.

I have a very recent iCloud backup so I decided to give it a shot to restore from my iTunes backup. iTunes restore went quickly and what seemed like smoothly, however once the restore completed, took me to the same "new phone found" screen. back to exactly where i started. so still no media syncing. keep in mind all of this is USB connected, i decided to eliminate the possibility of issues with wifi sync.

My next step was to initiate an iCloud restore to see where that took me. I reset all the data on the phone (same process used to download OTA iOS5B5 update) and went through the iCloud backup. that went flawlessly and then started the auto-download of my Apps. then the phone shows up in iTunes with THE SAME "NEW PHONE FOUND" SCREEN, continuously asking for a restore.

any suggestions at all? I'm usually a fairly confident trouble-shooter, but I can't think of anything else to do in this situation.

Summary
    1. itunes erases media, does not allow to sync
    2. follow iTunes suggestion and restore, still asking for a restore (multiple times)
    3. do iCloud restore, still asking for a restore in iTunes with no media.

thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

2. sixthdimension macrumors newbie

I'm having somewhat of the same issue. I think it has to do with the 10.7.1 update. Attempting to sync my iPhone 4 with iOS 5b5 and iTunes b5, iTunes thinks its a new phone and I'm afraid to do anything cause I don't want to lose it all. It just gives me the option to restore from backup or setup as a new device.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Does selecting new device work?

3. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

Dang I just download the update 10.7.1 but haven't hit the restart button yet :eek:

4. Steve28 macrumors member

Uncheck wifi sync and all your syncing troubles will go away (after you resync again)

5. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

7. randyharris macrumors regular

But you can't uncheck WiFi Sync because all you see in iTunes is a screen asking to setup the phone as new or restore from backup.

8. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i sorta had the same issue sometimes i plug the iPhone into iTunes and it tells me i have to restore for some reason then all of a sudden now my iPod not working?

9. TaterToT macrumors 6502

I had this weird problem too... I set up the phone as a new phone and then it synced as normal, except that it added applications I had previously had unchecked but I just went through and unchecked them. All my media and apps were still on the phone and same for my contacts and settings and all that (I use iCloud)

10. Krandor macrumors 6502

I have sen the issue of having that screen. I just select "Setup as new" and it does not delete anything that is currently on my phone. However, the settings in iTunes on what to sync or not to sync get reset and have to be set back up again.

So "setup as new" will not change anything on your phone, but will set the phones itunes settings to default. To me, not a big deal to set them back and continue on.

11. RedRallyeZ thread starter macrumors regular

I had wifi sync unchecked even before the 10.7.1 update. the problem started because the phone FORCED a wifi update. which was incredibly strange because 1) the phone was not plugged in and charging 2) wifi sync was turned off and 3) the option to prevent devices from syncing was checked as well, it just shouldn't have synced.

I did finally set it up as a new phone, and THEN did an iCloud restore. It finally let me start syncing media, but my apps are all out of whack. they all work, but they are all out of order. and my folders no longer exist. I went from 3 pages full of apps, to 9 half filled pages. This is crazy.

12. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

Ah, so it's 10.7.1 huh? I noticed last night that my phone kept appearing in iTunes as a new phone. Stayed like that for a couple seconds, then went away. Now, this morning, I noticed that all my music was gone.

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Do you have iCloud backing everything up? I just restored from an iCloud backup and transferred my music over again. It was pretty painless, and now everything seems right with the world again.

14. RedRallyeZ thread starter macrumors regular

I had an iCloud backup and it did prove to be my saving grace, but even once I restored from iCloud and set it up as a new devices in iTunes, it did something crazy with all of my apps.

I suddenly had about 9 half filled pages of apps. some of which where previous on the phone, some of which were not. It wasn't a big issue, i just had to manually reorganize them.

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It tried to do that to me too. I restored the full iCloud backup, and then when I synced, if I had "sync applications" checked it tried to install all my uninstalled apps in like 7 extra pages. It definitely needs to be made a little more mass user friendly.

16. tlattie macrumors newbie

17. randyharris macrumors regular