IOS6 - 4S Battery Drain - My fix

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by tbarney, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tbarney macrumors member

This topic is being discussed in multiple threads but thought I’d post what I’ve done to remedy it on both mine and my wife’s 4S. Some items may have not done anything but the overall result has been extremely positive.

Notifications only have these running:

Weather Widget
    Phone
    Facebook
    NBC News
    Stock widget
    Mail
    ESPN score center
    The Weather channel

Government alerts are both ON

Use cellular Data for: Only iCloud documents is ON, all others OFF

Location Services: All ON except Camera, Chrome, safari

iCloud: All OFF except Contacts, Calendars, find my iPhone, my photo stream, documents & data and use cellular data

Storage & backup: iCloud backup is OFF

Facetime: use cellular data is OFF

iTunes and App Store: all OFF

Music: iTunes match is OFF

Mail: All mail accounts set to fetch – 15 minutes.

Photos and camera: My photo stream is ON. Shared photo streams is OFF

Facebook: calendar and contacts are OFF, Facebook ON

After these parameters were set I full charged the phone. Once fully charged with the phone still attached to the charger, preformed a hardware reset. Battery performance is the same if not better than 5.1.1.

Hope this helps others.

2. stickboy2k macrumors member

Thanks for these suggestions, I probably would have gotten around to all of them eventually but it was nice to have a good list.

I hope it helps because I am not a happy camper. Battery life is down I think about 25-30% which is very bad.

3. King Bowser macrumors regular

I've HAD all this done except the notifications. I just turned off just abut everything on notifications.. see if that helps.

Right now i'm currently

Usage : 1 hrs 49 minutes

Standby : 5 hours 58 minutes

at 69 %

4. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I tried all that, got to admit there is a bug on battery performance. Even my trustworthy Ipad 2 is seing a drastic battery drain. Apple please release a fix now

5. Wilson1313 macrumors member

I have the 4S, and on iOS5 the battery life was ok, but never still impressed (I'd just plug it in at night and it would be around 36%). I upgraded to iOS6 and battery seemed roughly the same (clean install). However once I did a recharge cycle (charge to 100%, drain fully until the phone wouldn't turn on, then 9hr charge until full) the battery has been AMAZING! At 86% after 1hr of usage and 6 hrs of standby. Still will take a few more days to really see how it usually is, and I'll try out some of those tips too!

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

When I first upgraded my 4S the battery life was shocking, I could actually watch it tick down in front of me. I lost over 30% during my lunch hour.

In desperation I did a full factory restore using iTunes and then re-installed my apps. From then on I've had no issues with battery life, it's exactly the same as iOS 5.1.1. The only thing I turned off was bluetooth because I don't use it.

It worked for me but YMMV.

7. King Bowser macrumors regular

i'm doing this tonight thanks for the tip.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

Will there be an "iPhone 5 Battery drain" thread ?

Not mocking anyone, its just every update to the iPhone/IOS, theres always been a consistent battery drain issues, or improvement, but then the update after, Apple breaks it again

When was the last "stable" iPhone/IOS (regardless of which version) ? :apple:

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Battery life seems IMPROVED since upgrading to iOS6 on my 4S

Currently..

Standby: 13 hours, 8 minutes
    Usage: 2 hours, 45 minutes
    66% left.

Been on wifi all day, made some phone calls, web browsing through out day, a lot of texting..

This is good, no? Considering the standby time..

10. Wilson1313 macrumors member

Just an update on my battery:
    Usage: 2hrs 10 min
    Standby: 11 hours 9 min
    Battery still at 66% :D

11. risc, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

risc macrumors 68030

risc

Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean others haven't. Some apps may not work properly with iOS 6 causing battery drain, there may be a bug in the OS (like 5.0). There are many reasons things may go wrong for people, and all they want is for their device to work correctly not have to justify themselves to a bunch of Apple fanboys. :rolleyes:

12. funkytwn macrumors newbie

ios6 battery fix fo realz

Goto settings and click on icloud. Scroll down to safari and stop icloud from syncing safari and tell it to delete any information stored on your phone. Once that is done slide it back if you want. Poof battery problem fixed. With the upgrade of iOS6 there is an errorlog between safari and icloud that gets stuck in a loop...this causes it to constantly run and stream between your phone and the cloud...hence draining your battery like you are constantly downloading and uploading non-stop. By deleting the safari files you clear the log and fix the problem....it takes literally 1.5 minutes to fix.