iOS6 and iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Fester1952, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Fester1952 macrumors member

Fester1952

I have an iMac, an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4S. I was assuming that after updating the iOS devices to iOS6 and my iMac to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 that any messages I receive on my iPhone would be seen on both my iPad and my iMac? This is not happening for me. Only messages that are sent via an Apple phone can be seen on the other devices, I thought that ANY message received would be seen. Is this the case or have I interpreted the new update features wrong? Or is something not set correctly in the message settings?

2. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

Any iMessage (blue) should sync across all devices. Text messages (green) will only be on the iPhone.

3. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Added to that, only iMessages. If someone sends you a text message, it won't sync.

4. Fester1952 thread starter macrumors member

Fester1952

Isn't that the same as the previous iOS and Mountain Lion 10.8.1? That is the way mine has worked, but I thought the new updates allowed for text messages to be synced as well?

----------

Thanks for that, I thought they would

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The functionality is the same, but the major difference is that non-phone devices like your computer and iPad can now receive iMessage messages that are sent to your phone number. Before this update, only the phone would receive those messages. If you wanted the messages to sync across all devices, the message had to be sent to an email address (or you could reply from a device with the "caller ID" for messaging set to that email address - but this risked spawning a second conversation thread on your texting partner's device).