ios6 and new itunes

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by vexorg, Oct 4, 2017.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I have some older devices that don't have the latest ios, ios6 in the case of the ipad2 since there were bad reports of lagging for newer ios.

How do we sync and update apps, will the app store still work ok?

2. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

If you have the .ipa files, you can still sync them with a desktop by dragging them onto devices in iTunes (or so I've been told). Otherwise, if you use iTunes to manage your app collection you could just not update past 12.6.x. Considering how hostile Apple is towards old software, I wouldn't rely on the on-device App Store if at all possible.

3. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dumbly I just let iTunes update as it asks to do so frequently. There should have been some major warning about this, I've found their support for legacy product shocking. One of the ipod touches went obsolete just over a year old, no longer supported.

4. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

Yup, it can be a pain to deal with. Sometimes Apple likes to be rather ambiguous in their release notes with regard to major changes. If you have a backup of your .itl file, you could always revert iTunes if using the store in-app is important to you.