iOS6 App Limitation

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by samcraig, Jul 20, 2012.

1. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

How is this news on FORBES?!? It's a beta, anything can change with the flick of a button. They even acknowledge that. Must be a SLOW news day in the tech world.

2. throys macrumors 6502

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I saw this somewhere else this morning, which caused me to go through and count how many apps I have, for fun. I believe the number was 238. And I have a LOT of apps. I really can't imagine anyone ever wanting to have more than double that amount...

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Did you really count? or just go to Settings -> About ;)
    Only 198 for me, I did not count.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I did. :eek: but just as an FYI that number doesn't include the "stock" apps. Mine shows 210. So you'll have to add about 22 if you want to get the full number of apps/icons :p

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why? In my opinion it's quite an interesting development :)

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Touché :)

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Isn't the article wrong about iOS 4/5 having no limit?

Before iOS 4, you had 11 pages, each with 16 Apps - a total of 180 apps (don't forget 4 on the dock!).

When Apple introduced iOS, they specifically mentioned that you could put 12 Apps in each folder, with a folder using as much space as an app - bringing the total up to about 2100 Apps.

How well the device would cope with that, I don't know. I can't see iTunes coping very well!!

10. chrismarle macrumors 6502

ANyone here has 500 apps or more on his devices?

11. irDigital0l Guest

12. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Count me in.

What I really would love is darned iTunes to support saving of your app data and then allowing to remove the app from the iDevice, without me having to resort to custom scripts that connect via SSH to do that on a cron job for me.

The way I see it, most people say "OMFG you have 100 apps!!!!, what are you, nuts???". Nobody said anything about using those apps at the same time, neither on a daily basis.
    The nice thing is that you might have a ton of apps that might come handy on a given situation (like, "Oh, I need to do X, is there an app for that? Yes there is, here, I downloaded it a while ago"). Just like you do on a "desktop computer". Leaving aside of course, the deal with apps not working fine with newer iterations of iOS or looking outdated or leaving aside the fact that you can download them on the spot (if they are free, or if you have the money on your account at the time).

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

This will be a very serious problem for my wife. She has well over 1000 apps. Lots of free games and she bounces around between games a lot.

She is going to be pissed.

14. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502