iOS6 - Default Web Browser Setting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Has Apple finally given in and given users this setting yet (as we have in PC's and Mac's for years)?

The ability to set the default web browser?

I tried and preferred an alternate to Safari for some time but gave up in the end due to this limitation as whilst it worked great when I manually used the browser, any hot-links in say emails etc, always fired up Safari as Apple would not allow a setting to chose the default browser.

Does iOS6 finally offer this very basic feature, can anyone who has the current beta version let me know please.

2. lepeos macrumors member

Nope, still a jailbreak only feature I'm afraid. To be honest, with how much they put in to improve Safari with each software update I find it unlikely that Apple will ever let us have this feature.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for confirming this bad news :(

I used to use "Perfect Browser" and it's one killer feature, which I don't know why Apple don't implement as it's such a "No Brainer" was a temporarily visible quick scroll bar on the right of the screen, so you could scroll up and down a whole web page really fast in a second.

Once you use it, it's so obvious it's a good idea, and yet Apple don't seem to offer it. I've never understood why they work this way.

I remember hearing stories years ago about how an Idea, no matter how good, was dismissed as it was not one of Apples. I don't know if that was true or if it still is to some degree.

On proper computers it does not matter as you just run someone else's software, but on the iPad it's a bit too tied down in certain areas for no good reason

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everyone has "no brainer" features. The complete list would be endless and development resources are never infinite.

I don't know the reason != no reason. If this is a must have feature then do your research before buying. It's certainly possible on Android. Pick the solution that suits your needs.