iOS6 Excessive Mobile Data Usage?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by thobie, Oct 8, 2012.

1. thobie macrumors member

My monthly mobile data usage have been around 300megs per month for atleast the last 12 months. Now, after installing iOS6 to my iPhone 4, i ran out of the 1gig limit after the first five days of this month?! xD And still it's consuming like 100mb per day (bandwidth limited after the 1gig limit, TeliaSonera Finland). And there's even wifi at my home and workplace so i'm connected to wifi like 20h per day.

There has been reports about this behaviour - for example:

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5...sive-data-usage-even-in-wifi-mode/td-p/151026

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/26/3413592/help-mobile-data-in-ios-6

As this is an Apple product - I assume there's no way to check the software based consumption of mobile data or open data (tcp/ip) connections over mobile data?

Edit: Since 5.10. - 300megs uploaded, 35,5megs downloaded.

2. pitterpat macrumors newbie

Get with your carrier, there is a patch to stop the problem.

3. thobie thread starter macrumors member

I'm not interested being operator's/Apple's beta tester. They should fix their own systems by themself.

542MB uploaded / 72.8MB downloaded in 6 days, and going on. It isn't Skype - turned it off...

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

You need to talk to your carrier, like he said. Bitching here isn't going to fix it. There is a fix that needs to come from your carrier.

5. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

I'm not a heavy data user (iPad). Just a bit of web browsing and run some business apps (which only run locally). I use it at two wi-fi sites and have taken it to lunch a couple times to read some web sites which put me on LTE for those two times.

Typically I run around 100MB or less per month.

Tonight I got a 20% remaining warning! That's not right. my 3BG plan just renewed 7 days ago. And somehow I have used 2.4GB?

I don't think so! So I have turned off the cellular.

6. windowstomac macrumors regular

Glad I found this thread, I'm on Pay as you Go and this month's cost me a fortune!

7. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

I saw whee Apple acknowledges the issue.
    So its a Carrier issue, not an Apple issue?

Also, I wonder if Verizon is doing this to sabotage the iPhone.
    I say this cause Ive always been shunned after switching from Android with them.
    I was having severe slow data speed issues and they kept saying I needed one of the new Android phones.
    Said, "I have a 4s, its fine in most areas, but in certain towns its dial up speeds"

Well come to find out, I was being throttled.....which with Verizon only occurs if you're a top 5% data user and enter a categorized area.

That said, Ive just noticed when I tried to buy it, they had no interest in selling it to me etc.

Well when I went in the other day to check out new iPhone 5.
    It was a pain in the ass to use.
    Select App, double tap to open etc.
    When I said something about it, "They said, That's just the new iPhone and ios6, if its not for you, may need to look at new Droids over here"

I said, BS!!! I have ios6 on my 4s and its not like this.

Found out through visits to other stores, Verizon put it in "Demo" mode.
    Wonder why :rolleyes:
    I also remember a year ago when I was checking out the 4s, I went in a different location and they stood over me the whole time.
    I closed all 47 Apps that were open on phone to check it out.
    When I walked over to service counter, sales man started opening a bunch of Apps and walked away LOL.
    I later found out from Genius Bar, he wasn't doing anything to hurt it cause they all pause in current state when Home button is hit .;)

So I say all of this to warrant my accusation on Verizon.....Think maybe they did this so they could blame iPhone users for high data usage and convince a switch to Android phones.
    Also, the tech on phone when I was dealing with speed issues through Verizon, tried to tell me it was because iPhone's use vastly larger files on web pages than Android phones.
    They do use "real Web pages" but not that big a deal....Per Genius

8. johnmed macrumors member

I'm on iPhone 5, 1GB cap per month in UK. I usually use 1 GB per month, and having bought the 5 on release day my usage has increased MASSIVELY.

I noticed 4 days after billing date I'd used over. 50% of my allowance. Having spoken to my operator (Orange) and Apple, who said Do Not Disturb function is a known culprit, I have restored my phone as new and had my carrier account credited with £10.

They told me two days ago I used 400 Mb, within an hour. In exactly 52 Mb blocks minutes apart. Very odd as I was at home, where I have good wifi. I wondered if photo stream was connected to wifi, uploading and dropping wifi and using cellular.

I even used 18Mb last night, and I think the podcast app could be to blame, using cellular when wifi is available.

I can't really work out what is wrong tho. When Apple uploaded diagnostics it showed my iPhone crashed 9 times since 24th of September, when I last restored as new (because of poor battery) so they suggested another restore as new from a new user account on my MBP....

Just wanted to share my experience so far. Very odd.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not an Apple or iOS6 issue.
    I ran iOS6 since June on iPhone 4 and 5 on ATT, with no adverse data usage.

Hammer your carrier.

10. johnmed, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

johnmed macrumors member

I'm not convinced. I ran the beta 4 on my 4, and the assisted wifi function (that was dropped from ios6) used chunks of data. I'm not convinced they've got it right, and the iPhone isn't using cellular because wifi has dropped...

I did use ios6 on my 4 without issue tho...

11. Todthebod macrumors member

I've only used 200mb/month for the past 5 years. I update to ios6 and I've got 4g in less than a month. Everything was set to wifi only. Getting 100mb-400mb transfers every morning at 2am while my phone was charging and connected to wifi. ATT said it's Apple's problem and they wouldn't credit me. Apple said it was ATT's problem. I kept everything like it was and everything mysteriously stopped. Either Apple sent a forced phantom update or ATT did something on their end.

12. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

So I called AT&T tonight to complain. The person I talked to wouldn't hear of any suggestions that their billing was screwy.

(To summarize, I typically use no more than 300MB. I slightly overran the 250MB plan twice and switched to the 3GB plan several months ago. Total usage shown on my iPad (v3) since *JULY* was 2.9GB. AT&T says I used 2.4GB between Oct 15 and Oct 22 when I got the warning email from them).

He *DID* offer me a one-time-only free 3GB renewal, which I accepted.

He says their official recommendation is to manually turn off the cellular data when not in use, and to download My Data Manager.

It makes no sense that I could have legitimately used THAT much cellular data in that short of a time period, given the miminal usage I make of the iPad outside of home and workplace, where I have wi-fi connections. Even at that I'm only a sporadic iPad user. I don't use facetime, download huge files, movies or play online games.

13. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

14. Rif67 macrumors newbie

Excessive data - cause?

Tracked down my issue to a rogue app - Bump - which stayed constantly hogging by location/GPS tracking.
    Downloaded it years ago to pass some photos to my sons ipod and never used again. In ios6 it seems that it stays constantly linked to location tracking - and never switches off.
    Tracked it down eventually via Settings>Privacy>Location Services, then just went down each app toggling On/Off until Location Services icon in top right-hand corner went off.
    Hoep this helps.....