iOS6 failed update, phone erased, unable to restore

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by BowTheMan89, Sep 19, 2012.

1. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

After updating itunes and my MBP, plugged in the iPhone for update via iTunes. Update was running fine, collapsed at the last second. only option available was to restore. tried restoring the phone, that failed too, not my phone is stuck telling me to plug it into iTunes.

anyone else seeing issues like this?

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Was your phone jailbroken?

3. saketbash macrumors newbie

I had the exact same thing happen. I unplugged it and restarted the phone using the Home+Power button method and my phone came back to its previous state. I restarted the update and it went through okay. I hope thats all that you need to do.

4. BowTheMan89 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, not jailbroken. Have tried the hard restart, no luck, keeps coming back to plug to iTunes screen.

5. georgia-svt macrumors newbie

If all else fails put it in DFU mode to should go through then.
    jeff

6. BowTheMan89 thread starter macrumors regular

DFU mode?

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Damn, because that's what happened to me when I installed the GM. My problem was due to my phone being jailbroken and the use of either PwnageTool or TinyUmbrella. One of them added an entry to my hosts file that needed to be commented out in order for iTunes to connect to the real Apple servers instead of Cydia's servers.

Just to be sure, open the Terminal and enter the following command:

sudo nano /etc/hosts

Enter your password when prompted. If you see an entry for gs.apple.com that has an IP address like 74.208.10.249 in there, add a '#' in front of it, and then hit Ctrl-X to save & exit the file. Try updating your phone again to see if it works this time.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Same thing happened to me, OP. I'm still trying to restore it...

9. Lethalleftpeg macrumors newbie

I have the same. All downloaded and seem to update quite smoothly, then right at the end got an error on iTunes, now my iphone 4s is completely stuck on the plug into itunes screen. Never been jailbroken. updated from 5.1.

so angry, i cant get it into dfu, it seems to be stuck in a continuous loop.

10. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

From http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode :

•Attach the phone to the pc
    •Turn the phone off
    •Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    •Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    •At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

11. BowTheMan89 thread starter macrumors regular

damn, sorry to hear this is happening to everyone. I'm still trying to work it out, not really getting anywhere. Might be making a very angry 1hour long drive to the nearest apple store.

12. lnferno macrumors 6502

I am jailbroken. Does what you have listed above apply if you're jailbroken as well? I've ssh'd into my phone, but I can't use sudo or nano, or vi -- says the command is unrecognized.

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I got mine into DFU mode and it still threw the error right at the end. So frustrating!

14. Lethalleftpeg macrumors newbie

Mine just wont do anything but boot to the plug into itunes screen. very angry, my phone has worked perfectly since I got it at launch last year.

15. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Seems like I should wait coming from a JB 5.0.1...

16. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Both iPad 3's turned off during the OTA update. I had to do home + power button to turn them on. They started to welcome to iOS6 screen. Completed setup and then started updating apps. Both crashed to the Apple logo required one more home + power. Everything is running fine now.

17. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Not just me then!
    My iPad3 failed to update, ending up on the iTunes / plug screen. Restore just gives error 3014
    That said, it's always had a little problem with false home button presses, so might just have to take it in.

18. BowTheMan89 thread starter macrumors regular

same error i'm getting with my phone.

19. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

This is a cluster *******. I got errors trying the OTA and when I tried downloading and updating using Option > Update in iTunes, It went through the process and now is stuck at the iTunes screen.

I can't get ANYTHING to happen with it.

What the HELL is going on?

I can't even get iTunes 10.7 because I get an invalid checksum error when downloading.

I may have to reinstall Lion I think

20. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You need to do this on your Mac. And it will only happen if you are Jailbroken or used TinyUmbrella

Error codes in the 3000 range or communications errors or issues. The Internet/Apple is probably busy. You might have to try again later, or download the IPSW files and perform an update using the local file

21. Lethalleftpeg macrumors newbie

just rebooted my mac, itunes has identified my iphone and is trying to recover it now.

please work!!

----------

iphone now restoring from a backup i made yesterday.

looks like a complete reboot of my imac is what done it.

good luck to the rest of you having the same issue.

----------

iPhone has restored and updated to IO6 successfully!! phew!!

as above, try a reboot of your machine, plug your device back in and see if itunes allows the restore. this is how mine was fixed.

22. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I found this for Error 3014 - http://www.iosjailbreak.ws/fix-itunes-error-3014-during-ios-firmware-restore-1327.html

It says it should work for non-jail broken installs as well.

23. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I'm crossing my fingers that the iTunes and Lion updates I need are successful. They seen to download successfully, but during the install, they say the files are corrupt. I rebooted, and did a drive scan. If iTunes installs correctly, I hopefully will get iOS 6 on my iPad and Phone. Otherwise, it's to the genius bar I go.

24. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

25. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Run the command in the terminal on the Mac, not the phone. If you have Windows, I think the hosts file is located in C:/Windows/system32.