iOS6 improvement suggestions (add yours)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Europe calling, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

I think iOS6 is full of features i don't really find usefull. Especially for those of us who live outside the US.
    It IS however missing out on a few that would be very useful to me (and many others like me i presume, so feel free to add to this list). I don't want to hack the OS, i think these features are legitimate to request as solid standard features. So Cupertino are you reading?, here goes:

- The ability to simply password- lock certain native apps on iOS for iPad, especially mail! I know people will say iPad was not designed to be a multi-user device. Fact is that this IS how it is being used in the real world. When handing it out to others to show photos, or when playing games, privacy is key and you don't want messages to reveal themselves to the wrong eyes! Look at the iCab app for example, which has this feature, so simple, so useful!

- re-installment of Google-maps as native and removal of the Apple maps app until a thoroughly tested and approved Apple alternative is release-worhty. I had to downgrade back to iOS5 on my iPhone. It is no use for me without a decent maps-app.

- an option to mute all sounds when closing a cover on the iPad.

2. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

Universal password

Have a universal password system for the apps to share.

Like Starbucks, ATT, Chase, Mint, etc for example would use a password that you specify in settings.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

XPC based inter-app communication and processes

Ability to prevent my 4 devices from chiming out notifications at slightly different timings. #cacophony

Groups support for Contacts

Location Based profiles - DnD time changes, Default email changes and even the ability to hid/show certain apps based on location.

Folders - ability to scroll at least one row

Detonator - automatically blows up any Samsung smartphone within a 10ft radius #samsunged

4. sexiewasd, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

sexiewasd macrumors regular

These aren't all one hundred percent iOS, but Apple is moving to an integrated Apple platform type of experience, so i think these suggestions are appropriate.

Airplay:
    I would like to be able to use it across all of my apple devices to say stream a video from one iPod to another, or from my Macbook to my iPod. It's not going to hurt Apple TV sales because we still need a way to make it work with non Apple displays and at this point it's just a hobby. Right now Samsung's smart tv's are wiping the floor with it. Take it seriously and give us a smart TV that we all carry around as an iOS or OS X device that works across all airplay devices.

Photos:
    Some sort of cohesive photo storage system. I don't want all of my photos in one giant list called camera roll where I have to sort it all out into albums, but they don't really exist in the albums, they are shortcuts to the photos in the camera roll, then there are photo streams which are like albums except they work with iCloud and can be shared, but don't confuse iPhoto with iOS Photos, those are two different beasts, and use two or more separate libraries to store your photos and have to be synced, but don't move your photos around too much or you'll end up with duplicates. Really Apple? This is keeping it simple? How about I take a picture on any of my devices and it syncs to ONE iCloud library and it keeps meta ID tags so it doesn't create duplicates if they are moved around, and you keep my photos in albums. If I move a photo to an album, then thats where it lives. You can even have an all photos tab if you like! but when I decide to delete a photo, actually, really, fully delete it please! I don't want it floating around in multiple libraries only to popup later.

iTunes Match:
    ok, so don't make me download all of my music one album at a time every time that I reinstall one of my devices, If i've got my library loaded on my mac, how about you sync from that instead? If all my music is on one of my iOS devices how about you let me sync it all back onto my Mac? If I don't have an internet connection but I have an iOS device around with my music on it, can we just stream it from that instead of via iCloud? That would fit with the improvements to Airplay! If i've got a disk in the drive, and i rip it, and nine out of ten songs match the iTunes library, how about we assume that song number ten is probably the last song on the album and not a pirated mashup of elvis Costello and Skrillex which I happen to think fits nicely as the last song on an original release of Kaki King's everybody Loves You? We probably don't need to upload that one, ok?

Newsstand:
    iCantstand, in fact it would be great to be able to uninstall any of the preloaded apps. There is no good reason that we shouldn't be able to. If you are relying on them to be installed for your other services to work correctly, then your doing something very wrong. User's aren't going to be confused. At this point we know how to use the app store to reinstall them if we want to. If i want to go so far as to uninstall the phone app on an iPhone and use it as an iPod, then let me, or if I want to uninstall the music app on an iPod and use it as a PDA, then let me. If i want to delete Newsstand because I have absolutely no use for it in a time when print format is all but a bloody stain left over from getting a beat down in a fight with modern web media because the same or better information is available without a subscription fee and funded entirely by ad revenue and I think the icon is ugly, then let me.

Camera:
    Manual focus and exposure in the camera app. It would just be nice to have.

Launchpad:
    It should be in iOS because it's super nice! I shouldn't have to look at what amounts to an overloaded desktop all the time. I'd like to be able to have my apps where the home screen is, and tap the home button to access the launch pad, with the integrated search bar like in OS X. It's a really nice setup and you should use it. You could even have the multitasking bar pop up in launchpad, like the dock does on OS X. You wouldn't need the four icon quick launch bar anymore, because you would have the dock there, where you can pin icons to it, and have more than four at a time, with scrolling.

Statusbar:
    Let me swipe it left and right to quick switch apps. There is plenty of room with the larger screens to make it mandatory instead of optional in apps.

Wallpaper:
    more than one please.

Overall, i think that what i'm saying is maybe OS X does some of the iOS features better than iOS does, and you should look at what works well, and make it consistent across the two platforms so that they are better integrated with each other. That is the plan anyways isn't it?

5. irDigital0l Guest

Siri
    built-in translator and price checks

FaceTime
    video calling between up to four iOS devices or Macs

iWork (Pages, Keynote, Numbers)
    share and work together between iOS devices or Macs

6. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

Improve siri
    Improve voice recognition
    Introduce offline dictation
    Add more customization widgets etc ( you dont have to use em if you don't want...)
    Settings toggle from notification <-- must have

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Don't want that - if you want to use what is left on my starbucks card fine - but to also have access to my banking - no thanks. Universal passwords are just invite to universal disaster.

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Ability to passcode lock individual apps
    Ability to quick-respond within an app (just like BiteSMS)
    Better iMessage management (Add, remove people from groups)

9. pommie82 macrumors 6502

10. newbreed23 macrumors member

Multitasking gesture for the iPhone like on the iPad. I would love to be able to swipe up to bring the multitasking tray up. Would be a much smoother workflow and save my home button from being overworked and dying after about a year or so of use.

11. zbarvian macrumors 68010

A better multitasking interface (not just icons), something more lively than static icons, a better Notification Center, as well as a host of improvements to Siri/Maps.

Also, I'd like to see some big visual redesigns, and more functionality/innovation. Then I'd be content.

12. Siggen macrumors 6502

ability to "delete" stock apps

Like Passbook, stocks, weather, and more.

13. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

This. I like how in chrome for IOS, you could swipe left or right to go the next page. Maybe for iphone, we could swipe sideways to cycle to the next/previous app? With the new processor, multitasking should be more instantaneous as well.

14. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Select enhancement and submit your requests. This way Apple sees your suggestions and the ball is in their court. If you like something some posted, submit your own suggestion with their input (more people interested in a feature might make them do it).

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I feel like at least 75% of people asking for features, improvements to the OS, etc, don't ever submit them to Apple.

16. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Thanks for the reminder. Just sent them some feedback.

18. chasers macrumors member

chasers

I have a 4S and I noticed that this update is specifically geared toward iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th generation. Any benefit for me to update?

19. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

No problem ;)

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Fix the App Store. I don't know what they were thinking. It's horribly inefficient for browsing or searching for apps an is a pain in the ass.

----------

There's some nice minor things but nothing major.

21. szman86 macrumors newbie

1. I'd like for my ipad or my macbook to supercede my iphone when I'm using it, push my notifications, take my calls, control my phone all of that from the master device synce with my iphone (bluetooth - wifi hybrid). This would be like making the ipad or macbook a bluetooth headset for my phone calls

2. Automatic profiles based on location, charging, traveling, time etc. I'd like for the phone to figure out when I'm traveling, when I'm sleeping (DnD), when I'm working etc and the ability to change settings such as Dnd, silence ringer, auto message, etc

3. Improve Siri and some sort of card / itinerary system like google's so that I have the information I need such as flight, hotel, train schedule etc easily accessible when I need it. Passbook is approaching this

4. Passbook enhancements, why is it checking my location at random intervals? Why can't it look for a location based on a geo-fence, using cell towers and wifi like it does for reminders insterad of wasting my battery

I'm afraid Apple doesn't have the leverage Google has to do something like Google Now, Apple doesn't know my flight, hotel, etc

22. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

iWork - allows access to dropbox.
    I know it's not conducive to Apple pushing iCloud. But honestly, iCloud for iWork is useless as most offices are windows based. Th only viable universal cloud service is dropbox. icloud support for documents has absolutely no place in the corporate world.