iOS6 - iPhone 4 - no turn-by-turn

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by netnothing, Sep 19, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I knew this wasn't supported....but after updating my iPhone 4 (which soon will be gone replaced by the 5)....I did a quick test. Apple still allows directions....and they have the pretty street signs showing each turn.....but they can't even update as you go?

I get (not really) the iPhone 4 can't handle voice or the 3D stuff.....but you are telling me it can't just switch to the next sign as you drive?

Poor showing Apple.

-Kevin

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I tried this out today as well, and was rather disappointed in that. Yes, I know that without Siri, we get no voice directions, but I don't see why if the map can track your location as you go via GPS, it can't automatically switch to the next instruction.

3. adamdm macrumors newbie

This is exactly how everyone's beloved Google Maps app worked...

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I mean...the free Mapquest app can do turn by turn.

-Kevin

----------

I know the Google app didn't do it. Apple then SHOULDN'T put up the street signs in their maps app. They give the illusion it will do turn-by-turn.

-Kevin

5. matttye macrumors 601

Probably because it would be too dangerous to have to keep a close eye on the screen for each turn.

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Exactly.....then why put on the street signs? What Apple is saying is.....you need to flick the signs at each turn.

-Kevin

7. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Use Mapquest. I've been satisfied with it every time I use it for turn by turn voice on my iPhone 4.

8. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I agree....for a free app it's awesome, and I would keep using....if I wan't getting a shiny new iPhone 5 on Friday :D

-Kevin

9. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm aware, it does update as you go. It just doesn't update immediately. It updates halfway to your next turn.

For example, let's say you just turned and the next turn is in 10 miles. For the first 5 miles, the "street sign" being displayed will be for the last turn you made. After that though, it will automatically change to show the next turn. If the next turn is in 4 miles, it will change after 2.

I know it worked like this in one of the betas so as far as I'm aware, it still works like this unless they changed it. No idea why they did it this way though. It would be better if it updated immediately after turning.

10. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I was surprised that I missed the fact that the iPhone 4 wasn't getting turn by turn. I hopped in my car to test it out and was like wtf? Lol. Kind of a bummer but whatever ill have the iPhone 5 on Friday.

11. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Interesting. This doesn't help much for quick turns. :p

-Kevin

12. JoganJani macrumors member

That is because Apple wants you to buy iPhone 5.

13. nickn macrumors 6502

Why would you buy a new iPhone? Don't you realize they are going to pull one of the same stupid ploys a few years down the road? There is no reason why the iPhone 4 can't do turn by turn, except to grow their pockets... Most Android devices don't have that problem, so I jumped ship and couldn't be happier...

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I have a feeling that I'll end up using the Navigon app despite getting an iPhone 5 on Friday. I'm not sure if Apple's Maps can be trusted completely just yet, while Navigon has never gotten me lost.

15. arsenalrule macrumors newbie

Just noticed this on iPhone 4. Bit of a pain but I'm getting my iPhone 5 on Friday.

16. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Exactly.

Never understood the clamour for built-in turn by turn, Google or Apple-provided. If you want/need reliable directions, then cough up for a dedicated sat nav app like Navigon (or if you must, TomTom).

----------

Let me get this straight. So rather than buy one of the dedicated sat nav apps (that range from a couple of whatever currency you use to 50 or so) available on iOS, you defected to Android?! That's not cutting off your nose to spite your face my friend, that's beheading yourself and posting it on YouTube.

17. TakumiVng macrumors newbie

Hello,

This is really not good news!

iPhone 4 without turn-by-turn!!! iPhone 4 is powerful enough to have this feature. Do you think that this function could be activated in iphone 4?

Cheers

18. 2IS macrumors 68030

Or because it would be too costly for apple to lose iPhone 5 sales.

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

or a 4S

20. 2IS macrumors 68030

Nah, they really want you to buy a 5 :)

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

or a 4S

22. daiig macrumors member

I was using turn by turn on my old 3GS updated to iOS6 last night.

once you start the route there is a arrow button in the lower left corner, press that to turn it purple (twice to have it orientate) and directions change to the next tile once you pass through the circles placed on the map.

23. hamlin macrumors regular

This.

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The iPhone4 handles voiceover great, I am not sure why they can't enable it to at least do the speaking, and page turn for you. As far as 3D, I don't get it either. I can play Epic games on my iphone 4 while it runs notification aware services in the background that alert me (with location aware reminders) just fine.

I don't feel the issue is hardware, it's the pressure to get us to upgrade, or possibly they 'feel' that the software wouldn't be as smooth as they would like.

25. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

You are awesome. This is it. I just tested it.

The iPhone 4 (3GS) WILL follow along and change direction signs

So.....when you start directions...by default it will not follow along with you. Once you start the directions, in the lower left you'll see the Arrow. You need to click the arrow to turn it purple.

- Clicking the arrow once, turns it purple and it will follow you and change the signs, however it will not orient the device to the direction you are traveling

- Click the arrow twice will turn it purple, follow you, and orient the phone in the direction you are traveling.

Kudos daiig.....you made a lot of iPhone 4 and 3GS owners happy! :)

-Kevin