iOS6 Mute switch kills video sound?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by visualise-this, Sep 28, 2012.

1. visualise-this macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is an iPhone problem or an ios6 problem but whenever I play a YouTube video or any video/clip on my iPhone and its on silent then it won't actually play the sound unless I flick it off silent.

My friend is having the same problem and its really annoying as my phone is always on silent... Is this something that an ios6 setting has changed?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I can only guess that it is by design. Personally, I want the switch to work like that. Being able to quickly mute everything from the speakers is a nice feature (for me).

Are you running a 4 or a 4S iPhone that is having this problem? I have VLC on my iphone 4, and it acts this way with the mute switch, however, my iPhone 5 will play audio from videos regardless of the switch position.

On a side note, I have changed your thread title to give others a better idea what this thread is about.

3. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

This happens to me only when I use the WatchESPN app but it was like that on my iPhone 4 so I think it's just the app. Other than it works normal for me.

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I noticed this same thing when I started using my iPhone 5. It's a little annoying.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Noticed that it kills audio? My iPhone 5 will play audio regardless of the switch position. I can't see a menu option within it to change the switch behavior either.

6. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

When I have the mute switch on and play a YouTube video there is no sound. It was not like that in iOS 5

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps it's an app issue. No one has yet mentioned what app they're using, but I'm assuming it must be the Youtube app from Google. I'm not having any trouble with Jasmine or Safari (going to Youtube's mobile site) - I hear audio with switch in mute position. I don't have the Youtube app, so can't say. I'm running iOS6 on a 4S.

Regards,
    Tom

8. visualise-this thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using an iPhone5 and for me it's any app where I'll load a native video. For instance a YouTube video that I play in safari...or play a video in twitter It just plays no volume no matter what unless I turn it off silent.

When I play a video in the YouTube app it's fine