iOS6 on iPhone 4?

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Just wondering how well iOS 6 is running on iPhone 4's for everyone, I have a 4s and it runs fine, but my girlfriend wants to go from a PayAsYouGo old Nokia to an iPhone, and cheap contracts here in England are good on the 4.
She's not fussed on super speed, she used to use my 3GS all the time and found it "quick" but is iOS6 usable on the 4?
I don't want to recommend a 4 to her and then have an iPhone 3G on iOS4 situation.
Thanks guys.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
iOS 6.0 works perfectly well on the iphone 4.

I haven't had any problems.

The speed is the same as iOS5.

In fact it works so well, I'm thinking of waiting for the iphone 5S (next year) before I upgrade.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Just wondering how well iOS 6 is running on iPhone 4's for everyone, I have a 4s and it runs fine, but my girlfriend wants to go from a PayAsYouGo old Nokia to an iPhone, and cheap contracts here in England are good on the 4.
She's not fussed on super speed, she used to use my 3GS all the time and found it "quick" but is iOS6 usable on the 4?
I don't want to recommend a 4 to her and then have an iPhone 3G on iOS4 situation.
Thanks guys.
worked well for the week i ran it. ;)

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Why would you upgrade? You stand to gain as good as nothing (unless Facebook integration is critical for you), and you'll have to live with crapple maps.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Why would you upgrade? You stand to gain as good as nothing (unless Facebook integration is critical for you), and you'll have to live with crapple maps.
Oh no she's looking to get a new phone, which will come with iOS 6 unless bought on eBay/Craigslist/Gumtree etc. But she doesn't want a secondhand phone :)

Jag2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
3g

I just followed the suggestion to reset network settings and 3G toggle came back. I had to reenter my wifi key again but 3G now works.
The toggle is now under settings/general/celluar data.

Last edited:

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I haven't really noticed a change from iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6. That is, other than the maps app :rolleyes:.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
today i had the chance to play with a friend's iphone 4 on ios 6 and it was runing great ! much better than when it was on ios 5. i liked it very much the performance of ios 6 on the 4. :rolleyes:

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
DONT INSTALL IT on the iPhone 4 - it lags terrible after that.

Even the keyboard, when you are typing a sms, dies - often i write and nothings happens and suddenly it appears... Lags like ****.

App store same expierince.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
iOS 6 is very smooth on the iPhone 4 and my battery life seems to be about the same. I don't think there's any need to upgrade, but as long she's convinced she won't be impacted by the Maps App than there's no harm.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I ran iOS 6 betas on my own 4 prior to selling it and getting a good deal on a 4S, and found no performance issues compared to that of 5.1.1.

I've also installed the public release of 6.0 on my wife's 4, and it's no worse off then 5.1.1, so performance wise you have no problems or issues to be concerned with.

What I would say is that the 4 gets very few of the "major" features, such as Siri, Turn by Turn, Flyover, etc. However, Shared Photostreams are an excellent addition for sharing shots and memories with loved ones or selected friends in a private album.

This feature has proven invaluable in creating a shared album of my newborn niece, which we can all contribute to as she grows up, safe in the knowledge it's on iCloud.

Hope that helps.

peterwillem

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
situation.
Thanks guys.
There is a good chance that you will get a problem with IOS6.
See the following links:
http://www.zdnet.com/a-new-apple-io...ed-up-while-others-remain-unfixed-7000005134/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4317427?start=510&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19887107?ac_cid=tw123456#19887107

This is just for starters, if you look around you will find a lot more.
Me, if am sometimes itching to update from ios 5.1.1 to 6 but then I read these threads and the itch is gone and I am glad I stayed with ios 5.1.1.

peterwillem

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
DONT INSTALL IT on the iPhone 4 - it lags terrible after that.

Even the keyboard, when you are typing a sms, dies - often i write and nothings happens and suddenly it appears... Lags like ****.

App store same expierince.
No worse than iOS5 in my experience.

The app store lagged like hell on both versions.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Only downside I'm noticing is Bluetooth issues personally. But that has nothing to do with the 4. I been running it since the beta and it seems fine. A little sluggish, but thats just the phone getting older. Nothing I can't deal with

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I am still using a 4 and iOS6 is running VERY well. I've had zero issues so far and just like another user has said I may wait until the 5s next year before I upgrade.

Yell-O

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
My iPhone 4 ran perfectly with iOS6, just remember it's watered down on the 4...

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
My iPhone 4 ran perfectly with iOS6, just remember it's watered down on the 4...
Not necessarily. The only "features" it is missing is Siri improvements(obviously), Turn by Turn navigations, and panorama setting for the camera. The 4 gets all the other improvements the new OS brings.

Yell-O

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Not necessarily. The only "features" it is missing is Siri improvements(obviously), Turn by Turn navigations, and panorama setting for the camera. The 4 gets all the other improvements the new OS brings.
Yea that's what I meant, not trying to say it in a bad way...

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
safe in the knowledge it's on iCloud.

Hope that helps.

DO NOT TRUST THE CLOUD.

One screwup at Apple and your photos could be gone, never to be seen again.

Save them all on your OWN media. Burn them to DVD. Don't trust another party to be the custodian of YOUR data.

MobileME was shut down. Who's to say iCloud won't be next in five years? Save and back up your own stuff; use the cloud only to share it.

Sorry for ranting, this is a big issue for me. :) People put too much trust in "the cloud".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.