IOS6 restore

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wannabelean, Sep 21, 2013.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

I'm on iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 and was wondering if doing a restore will install 6.1.3 back or 7 on the phone? If I dont want 7, how can I restore back to my existing version in a clean state?

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nope, Apple stopped signing 6.1.x so it's a one way trip.

3. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

As pointed out in the above reply, if you hit the restore button your going to end up on iOS 7, wipe the device from the settings menu from here on in.

4. iHacker0390 macrumors member

What happens if you haven't updated past 11.05 iTunes? Will it still do a ios7 restore?

5. iAlphard macrumors regular

To be safe, restore from your in phone settings.

6. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you restore to clean state from the phone?

7. monolithic macrumors member

Settings>General>(scroll down)Reset

8. zBoost macrumors member

Yes it will still do iOS7.

9. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

I always thought it would reset all settings and delete information. Is this 100% identical to a restore?

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, it's not identical. You are correct, Reset All Settings deletes all data on the phone and returns it to a like-new state.

An actual full Restore from iTunes not only wipes your phone, it completely reinstalls a fresh version of iOS (people do this in case there was a corruption in a previous update, etc..).

So, in short, they are not identical. What are you trying to achieve? Are you selling the phone?

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

So you want a "fresh" iOS6 and you want to KEEP your data, right? If you do a reset in settings, depending on the reset, your data will be gone. If you have backed up to iCloud, if you restore from iCloud your data should come back. If you have backed up to iTunes, I'm not sure if just your data or your data and iOS7 would come back.

12. iHacker0390 macrumors member

I am not trying to argue, but if that's the case, then why does it tell me I have to update iTunes to get iOS 7, I was always under the impression that version of iOS required certain versions of iTunes..

example.. My iPod can go to 4.2.1 but I only have iTunes 9 on my PowerBook so it will only restore to 4.1 not 4.2.1

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You don't need iTunes 11.1 to update to iOS 7. You DO need iTunes 11.1 to sync your phone on iOS 7 to your iTunes. It will still update your phone even if you're using iTunes 11.05. You've never needed the new iTunes to upgrade iOS, just to sync with your device.

14. iHacker0390, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

iHacker0390 macrumors member

So I connected my 4s and hit restore and its downloading 6.1.3 not 7

so it downloaded 6.1.3, but didn't sign the install, SO to the OP either iOS 7 or Reset in settings appears your only 2 choices at this point unless somehow SHSH can be utilized since its A4

or Semi Restore, that worked OK on my other jailbroke 4s

15. Technetium37 macrumors newbie

Sorry for the noob question, but I don't understand something. If I click on "Reset All Settings", will it put my iPhone 5 back on iOS 6 like it was when I bought it?

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No it will not, once you have upgraded to a new version of iOS you can't go back.

17. ilrok macrumors newbie

Will doing an in phone restore unlock the phone?

I got my 4s (ios 6.1) unlocked from AT&T and want to restore w/out going to ois 7. Will doing the in phone restore unlock my phone completely or is the only way to completely unlock my iphone is go through itunes and be forced to update to ios 7?

Don't mean to thread jack, just looks like this is the best place to find the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks for your time.

18. hyhybt macrumors member

What does this mean for people who cannot use 7, should we ever have to restore in the future?

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Define "cannot use." Are you on a device that does not support iOS 7? (iPhone 3GS, iPad (original), iPod Touch 4G or earlier)

If so, Apple still signs the last release of iOS for your device, and if you ever need to restore it will use that version.

20. hyhybt macrumors member

Thank you; I should have said *devices* which cannot use 7. And that's a relief.