iOS7 automatically shading home screen wallpaper chosen from personal camera roll?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Raster Eyes, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Raster Eyes macrumors newbie

So I like the iOS7, but this one thing is really bugging me a lot.

When you choose an image for your home screen wallpaper and it is from the preloaded "Stills" and "Dynamic" images it is unaltered and unshaded. But when I choose an image from my personal camera roll it puts this ugly shadow on the top of the image and I don't understand why. :confused:

It doesn't look like there is any way to change a preference here that would leave my image unshaded. Does anyone know of a way around this? Is there an easy way to hack custom images into the "Stills" category so it thinks my personal image is actually one of the preloaded ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching around online but surprisingly nobody is talking about this even though it is such a huge and blatant fault in my opinion. Thanks!

2. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I don't see this shading you speak of on my iPhone 4S with iOS 7. Could you provide a screenshot of the home screen where the shading is visible, and a copy of the original image you're using as a wallpaper for comparison?

3. Raster Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

That's really strange, I'm also on 4s. Why would this issue only affect me and not others?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

That's by design, it's so you can see the time and date better. If you pan the wallpaper around when setting it, you'll see the shade changes to color differences.

5. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Can't see the images for some reason, would be interested to see what they show.

6. jonesie9 macrumors newbie

7. stevod macrumors member

8. Raster Eyes, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Raster Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure this is new, I don't remember this happening with my personal wallpaper in iOS6.

I guessed this was probably by design, but it's a stupid design. I also noticed it doesn't do it to darker images, so it is definitely by design for the reason Paradoxally stated previously.

If I thought my image was too light to read my time and other info at the top I could put my own ugly gradient on my image in Photoshop, and do it the way I think looks best. Or better yet just a small dark colored bar at the top that only fills the length of the text area would look much nicer.

I can respect apple for wanting to make things as simple as possible for the tech illiterate, but they should also keep in mind those of us who aren't, and give us options to turn automatic functions like this off.

Anyways, still looking for a possible fix so I can use the image I want without the ugly gradient.

relinking photos for those who couldn't see them:

With automatic gradient:
    [​IMG]

Original image:
    [​IMG]

9. Raster Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Also worth noting, I noticed that if the personal image is all very light it just changes the text color of the time and other information at the top to black instead of white, and visa versa if the image is all very dark. But if the image has a mix of dark and light colors in an erratic confetti-like manner it sticks the ugly gradient on there.

----------

And why couldn't they have just designed the gradient to only go the length of where the text is, instead of halfway down the the goddamn screen? I thought Jony Ive was all about flat design and anti gradients? That is definitely something I've really liked about iOS7, with this being a gross exception.

10. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Anti-gradient?
    Take a look again at all the new iOS7 icons.
    Full blown win95 style gradients everywhere.

11. Raster Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, there are some slight gradients here and there I suppose. But not nearly as thick with them as previous iOSes.