iOS7 b5 on iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kofman13, Aug 7, 2013.

1. kofman13 macrumors member

Anyone tried ios7 beta 5 on iphone 4S? how is the performance?
    is it good enough for daily use as a main phone? ( i don't really use many apps just youtube, facebook, instagram, twitter mostly).

How easy it it to downgrade back to latest iOS6 ?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

I've heard it's really smooth and fast. To downgrade, you'll have to restore. Make sure you make an iOS 6 backup before you install beta 5.

3. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Yes... Beta 5 runs smooth and fast on iPhone 4S and iPad Mini as well

4. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help guys!

glad UI is smooth but what about bugs?

all general stuff like data, texting, calling and those basic apps run ok?

5. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Yes...general stuffs like data, calling, texting are fine

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

DAMN! just remembered i use an MVNO called straight talk and on iOS6 i have to usually install a carrier setting to use data, i wonder if ios 7 will work with that too... will go on their forum and ask!

7. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Performance seems generally decent so far on my 4S (although it's very early days on this version).

Out of the apps you mention, YouTube has a slight issue in that the "Sharing" feature hasn't worked during the betas.

Twitter has an even lesser UI problem whereby you have to hold down the bottom row icons to make them work.

I have a thread with a list of App Failures if you're interested on this forum.

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Beta 5 runs perfectly well on my 4S. Beta 4 was the same.

No crashes or freezes so far.

9. Stalyn macrumors regular

10. Darkhrse99 macrumors regular

What about crashing, my jailbroken 4S crashes apps and the camera all the time?

11. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I don't see any difference between the performance of betas 4 and 5 on my 4S. Both deliver a very smooth and stable performance. Correct me I'm wrong, but transparency in the notification center has been reduced in beta 5. Not a big issue, though. I just find it more aesthetically beautiful with increased transparency.

12. CopyChief macrumors member

Under Beta4 I had almost no crashes - but my 4S crashed twice this morning while I was using the camera. No other problems, aside from the occasional (and expected) third-party app incompatibility.

13. deniseathedisco macrumors newbie

The only issues I've had so far is that the Messages app crashed a few times, twitter was having problems, and Instagram doesnt work at all even after update if anyone knows how to fix it please let me know

14. gtr69 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, how is the battery life using beta 5? :confused:

15. mirffy macrumors member

Beta5 runs really nice and stable on my 4S. There is a pretty major caveat for me, however: both with beta4 and beta5 I can only access the internet (and this includes anything that requires data transmission: Safari as well as iMessages) without WiFi. :( Downgrading back to beta3 restores this functionality. :confused: Has anybody else seen anything like this?

16. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Worked pretty well for me but could not download music direct to phone (error retry deal) and could not get music or pictures to sync via iTunes. Sync in general would hang at "waiting to apply........" in iTunes. Otherwise seems pretty decent. I suspect b6 will resolve.

17. Darkhrse99 macrumors regular

When is Beta 6 suppose to come out, I think I'll wait to get rid of my jailbroken phone and switch to beta 5?

18. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The animations are somewhat slow for me. Not sure if it's the same on the 5.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one knows for sure.

Beta 5 has been wicked stable for me.

20. nancyfromafrica macrumors member

I had installed iOS 7 Beta 2 on iPhone 4S and it given me lower benchmark results compared to the iOS 6 I think the new iOS 7 beta 5 will be better in terms of numbers.

21. Poly macrumors 6502

I'm interested in Beta5 on the 4S as well!
    I had beta2 and 3 on my 4S but it had so many random restarts and call declines that i had to downgrade to iOS6 again. There my camera app kept crashing so i had to do a full fresh install without a backup-.-

Are most of these issues gone?

22. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

I didn't experience any random restarts, camera, or calling problems. The reasons why I reverted to 6.1.3 were due to Beta 5 incompatibility with my goto apps like CNN Mobile, Flipboard, Radarscope, Tapatalk2, AP Mobile, Netbot, and ProTuber. Plus, the standard Mail app was a$$-backwards in design. Additionally, I tired of the pastels and skinny fonts. Other than those...