iOS7 beta 6 edit contact force closing bug - ***FIX***

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dictoresno, Sep 1, 2013.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

As some of us may be aware, there is a bug when using iCloud contacts where you go to edit a contact and the whole app force closes. The issue was discussed in the following thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623643&highlight=contact+bug

So I went through my whole contact list tonight and investigated the bug. I found the following results:

I had 5 contacts which when I attempted to edit, caused the crash. All contacts except for one, contained name, email address, street address and phone numbers. The one lone contact only contained an address. Please note, I had plenty of other contacts with similar information (numbers, emails, addresses) that worked perfectly fine.

Contact 1 - phone numbers, email, home address (NY)
    Contact 2 - phone numbers, home address (NY)
    Contact 3 - address only (NY)
    Contact 4 - phone number, email, home address (SC)
    Contact 5 - phone numbers, home address (NY)

Contacts 1, 3 and 4 had their street addresses "lost" somehow. I know they were in there back on iOS 6, but at some point during an iOS backup/restore, somehow iCloud corrupted the entry and deleted this portion. The city and state remained untouched however....weird.

Contacts 2 and 5 were still perfectly in tact, in terms of their addresses, but were also somehow corrupted even though I couldnt see any issues.

FIX: Remember or write down the contact info you have for the affected contacts. Use icloud.com to edit them (deleting the whole address field) then go back into your device and re-enter the info. Once this was done, I was able to view and edit these contacts from iOS7 with zero issues.

My guess is that address data becomes corrupted, causing these force close issues. For anyone with the issues, please comment and let me know if this fix works for you or if your force close causes differ in any way. But I'm nearly certain its all due to the address field. I believe the contacts.app isnt the issue, just the information contained therein.

2. Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

I do not see a single fix in your post, just the reason..

3. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

seriously? i put it in bold in my original post, labeled "FIX" on purpose for people like you. get some glasses.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

It's a lost art on this forum

6. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

This bug does not just affect iCloud contacts.

I use Google contacts (CardDAV), and it happens with those. Editing any contact that has a street address causes the Contacts app to crash.

7. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

any contact with a street address or only specific ones? as i stated, i have alot of contacts with addresses and only 5 were affected.

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I have my contacts over CardDAV from Google as well and have this issue where contacts with a street address cause the Contacts app to crash if you go to edit it and scroll down to where the address field would be.

I removed addresses for some and allowed the phone to sync and the contacts were then fine so definitely something to do with the address field being populated. After the contact had synced i tried adding the address back again using the Google Contacts website but after syncing the contact would crash again. Added them in directly into contacts on the phone and they now seem to be ok and have synced back to the google contacts site as well.

9. Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

Your fix doesn't show up on tapatalk.
    http://i.imgur.com/IsuyEhO.jpg
    Didn't expect that with tapatalk and you becoming that kind of touchy. Sry!

10. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

how would that not show up on tapatalk? it shows up on mobile and desktop for me just fine. and its normal text, just bolded. nothing special. sorry for snapping at ya.