Resolved iOS7 For iPad - Only Temporary? - Your Thoughts....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Piggie, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just putting this out there an a thought and be interested to hear your views?

The main UI of iOS is large simple icons for easy use on a small phone screen.

I think many were, and many still are surprised all Apple did for the iPad really was to magnify this up from a 4" to a 10" screen and do little else.

We can forgive them, I'd say, for doing this to start with.
    You had an unknown product, and a user base of iPhone owners who would instantly feel at home on this new device.

Now we are years down the line and will be coming up to the 6th generation of the product.

Samsung are showing off 12" tablets with multiple window options.
    Microsoft have a split screen option.
    Both allowing 2 or more things on screen and the other advantages that gives. The ability to finger drag from one app to another for example.

Now.....................

Given there is talk in the air about an iPad Pro, and perhaps 12" or even 13" models, I think even the most die hard Apple fan would feel just magnifying iOS7 even BIGGER. Perhaps another row/column of icons is just not going to be enough to avoid becoming a laughing stock for such a device.

I would presume, Apple know this full well, and they are also well aware of even the current UI on the current iPad Air is not making as much of a 10" screen as really it could be.

Hence, me wondering, if, in reality the iOS7 upgrade for the iPad's is really more a, so you don't feel left out upgrade. And there will be a new proper UI to come for the iPads, to show what Apple can do given a much larger screen display.

Perhaps not for the iPad Mini, as they may deem that too small, but even that could perhaps have a single split option ?

Now, If we assume the 12" or 13", if it happens, iPad Pro does get a new iOS front end/UI. Which as I say, I suspect most think it will have to.
    I wonder if the new UI will be held to be just on the larger size, or if they will feel the current 10" model is ok to run the same, or perhaps a cut down version of a new UI.

What do you feel?

2. Wando64 macrumors 6502

What I think is that everything is temporary. Are Apple already developing a better OS iteration that makes better use of the iPad screen? I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case. However when is it going to become available? Only Apple know, but I doubt it is just behind the corner. Is it going to break the compatibility between iPads and smaller screen iDevices? It would be madness if it did.

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I don't know. They added a launcher to my 27" imac that looks a lot like the iPhone / ipad. As the ipad gets more powerful, it would be nice if they would add some of the flexibility you mention. Keep in mind how long it took them to add copy / paste, though. I think there is probably a lot more effort than what's apparent on the surface to make these things work smoothly.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The way Apple seems to be struggling with the devolopment of iOS7, I don't think the OS will come out of kiddie mode any time soon.

Some people like it, but I don't. IMO it's the most uninspiring OS to date from the folders to the text.

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thank you for both your replies.

I'm thinking, realistically they could of not, left the current iPad's out of iOS7 as it would look bad, and too obvious that they are getting forgotten about, compared to the iPhone, so I presume, really, they had to to save face for the iPad.

On the other hand, I can't REALLY believe they are sitting round the table at Apple tech/board meetings and thinking..... "you know what lads. I think this is the very best Apple can do with a 10" 2048×1536 pixel screen.

I cannot accept they think this is the best they can do.

Also, as I say, I would personally be shocked is they simply offered a 12" or 13" tablet with the same UI. And I feel they would get all hell throw at them if that is all they did given an even larger screen.

Whilst I know many here don't like Microsoft and don't like Samsung, at least they are trying to make good use of the larger screen a tablet offers over a mobile phone.

Hence my initial point that, really iOS7 is just perhaps a temporary thing as far as the iPad is concerned as they could not leave it behind, and the proper tablet UI they MUST be working on, is simply not ready yet.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The iPad uses an OS designed for a cute little cell phone. (And for some asinine reason beyond my comprehension that seems to be what people want).

A larger tablet needs to echo some form of OSX. A 3 pound, 12-13" iPad running stock iOS will be laughable. The kiddie market has already been tapped and won. If Apple wants to play in the adult sandbox filled with enterprise users it won't happen with iOS as it is today.

That said, I just can't picture Apple spinning off a whole new division dedicated to another Operating System designed for this rumored big-assed tablet. So that means OSX will most likely continue to evolve into something "touch" ready. (i.e., our macs will continue to evolve into bastardized iPads with trackpads).

Laugh all you want at MS but they're already there with this concept. It's a struggle and not perfect but I tip my hat to them for trying so far. No small feat considering they don't even make the hardware for most of this.

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Strangely enough I just saw an advert on TV which made me think on this very point.

It was some advert for online bingo, or a holiday of something and showed normal 'typical housewives' just tapping on their tablet screen. It did not show the type of tablet. To run the online bingo, or some other app, then just throw the tablet down on the sofa to welcome their children home.

A, perhaps stereotypical advert of mum at home, using a tablet to access something simple to use.

There is no doubt, I'm sure we'd agree that Apple has gone for, and GOT this market. Something easy to use for people who have no real interest in computers. They don't even want to see or know it's a computer. It's just this clever thing, they tap of a picture and their app runs, and that's that.

Now, as we know there are other sectors of the market who do want something more than that. And lets leave out the real high end tech geeks :)

So how do Apple deal with this other sector who do want more?

Perhaps they will bring out a "Pro" line of tablets with a different UI ?

Perhaps the Pro tablets will come in different sizes?

Would is be wise to have the only Pro one to be the physically largest? I don't think that would be the best idea.

Perhaps, just perhaps you could have both on one device, and flip into Pro Mode in the settings area?

But the size you want, and then select the mode you wish it to be in.

Or Perhaps Apple will just focus on the area that has made it lots of money and simply ignore this area?

Though I will admit, I still can't really see a 12" or 13" model with the same UI and just another row and column of icons. I really cant.

Again... Interested to hear your views on this ?

Oh yes, and just to thank posters so far from not degrading into a brand bashing series of replies. We all see the other big names trying new things and seeing what the market thinks. It's all fun and interesting.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I subscribe to the "KISS" method.

Keeping it simple so that no matter which iDevice I pick up all the apps are in the same folder and arranged in the same way. I am a creature of habit.

9. Wando64 macrumors 6502

I am laughing.

But in all seriousness, Windows 8 is badly designed on all fronts. I don't want touch on a desktop/laptop and I don't want to struggle with small text/buttons/menu on a touch tablet and the market seem to agree with me so far. Of course there's room for improvement in the IOS tablet interface but, in my opinion, this is a case where one OS will NOT fit all devices and thank goodness for that.

10. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I guess it's the crossover between consumption and productivity.
    iPad and Macbook

Do you wish to allow someone to be Macbook productive, to some extend and only need to carry a tablet.
    As opposed to, at the moment have to carry their Macbook and iPad around with them a lot of the time, in case they wish to do something the iPad can't.

11. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I find I'm productive (as much as I want to be) with it's current configuration. Is there a better way for Apple to present it? I don't know. Like I said I like the carry through from device to device. I manage a group of security cameras and run website mostly off the iPads. There are things that are done easier from a PC but in a bind I can usually handle problems on the fly, in the middle of nowhere or in an aisle of the grocery store using one of my iPads.

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The very purpose of using the same or similar UI to the iPhone is that users who never used any tablet will find it very familiar to use the iPad without any learning curve. Comparing it with the Mac, where a Windows user has to learn everything from the ground up.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i really don't understand why on the iPad you can only have 9 apps per page, with all that screen you should have way more like iOS 6 allowed.

14. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think the 9 apps per page (in folders) is a design decision and won't be easily changed since it's a magnification (zoomed in view) of what you see in the minimized view of the folder. iOS 7 is all about layers and "zoomable" UI.

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

still, with 9.7 inches of screen I'm pretty sure you could keep a couple more apps in there

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Laughing at Microsoft in an Apple apologist zone. Who'd have thunk it?

I'd be willing to bet that if Win8 (and Metro) preceded iOS you'd be pissing and moaning about Apple's "do nothing" devices. :)

17. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Honestly in a lot of areas the iPad was exactly what iOS needed. My first thought after getting the iPad 1 4 years ago was " wow the whole system can finally breathe!!!" Remember one is a phone and one is a tablet. Cramming more crap is just going to make everything including text and touch targets smaller. Thats not a step forward. If you want more functionality, just get a macbook air. Side by side apps on a tablet are not a smart thing at this point. Look at Windows 8, its another disaster like Vista was. People hate it overall. If anything this si proof Apple will not do anything close to that. They will modify and make the current iOS better and adapt it accordingly.

Are there things that apple can do to make certain apps make better use of the real estate? Of course. The music app comes to mind. But in a world where design and functionality is being streamlined. Cluttering it up just seems counter intuitive. Even on a 12 inch tablet, things will need to be slightly modified. Not a complete overhaul. Safari, photos, etc on a larger tablet just do need an extra row or a pane or whatever to give more info on the screen.

I just don't understand peoples obsession with cramming more and more and MORE onto a screen. Not to mention this new mystery tablet isnt even out yet. Apple will surely adapt it accordingly but dont expect a desktop like experience.