iOS7 GM to Public Release

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Smwdesigns, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Smwdesigns macrumors member

Once the Public Release comes out, will we be able to update to it from the GM if its different? Or will we have to download the ipsw? How has it worked previously?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17816062 should have information about most of this.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

GM and public is almost always the same thing.

4. Smwdesigns thread starter macrumors member

I already understand that. But my question is, can you update from GM to the Public Release IF they are different?

5. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

well of course you can, you think Apple would leave devs stuck on a GM if it was any different than a public release?

it's usually the same version only a couple times it has been different I can't remember wether that was iOS 4 or 5 that the public revision was actually different than the GM one.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GM is what is loaded on all the devices that have already started shipping from the factory.

Would Apple leave all buyers of iPhone's without a method of updating to 7.0.x?

7. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

There has only been one or two times that the GM was NOT the same as the Public Release. The last time it happened was all the way back on 4.2 GM Seed having Problems with WIFI. A newer build was compiled and the General Public Release was Renamed 4.2.1 GM Seed to Avoid Confusion.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4.2.1 GM went to devs Nov 18.
    Then went general availability on Nov 22.

So yes, GM was same as general availability. Nothing as changed. It was also an intermediate release with no new devices.

9. kevpan815, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Ever since IOS 5, they have NOT givin it to us early.

Recently they have sometimes with held the GM Seed for an Entire Month before releasing it to the Public.You state that IOS 6 went GM on Sepember 12th even though that was just the date they finally gave the Build to us. The actual Date the Build was Compiled was August 11th or August 12th.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I detailed dates, and provided reference links to back it up on how us devs get it early.

Feel free to keep arguing that the sky isn't blue though, I'm unsubscribing.

11. applefan777 macrumors newbie

It will be the same thing. If you do want to update to the "official" public release you will have to download the ipsw. Any bug fixes will be in 7.0.1