ios7, iPad3, CCK to USB DAC - white noise stutter on 24/96 material

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BuddyRich, Sep 27, 2013.

1. BuddyRich macrumors member

Can anyone else confirm this?

My setup worked in ios6 just fine but now with ios7 using the CCK to a USB DAC breaks 24/96 audio.

My setup->

iPad3 ios 7.0.2 (from a full restore not OTA update) -> iPeng, FlacPlayer or itunes Home Sharing via Music.app -> CCK -> Audiolabs MDAC.

The DAC detects that is being sent a 24/96 signal but there is random white noise inserted in the audio every second.

Otherwise, all 16bit, 24/44 and 24/48 material works fine.

Its bad enough that ios7 feels a bit slower than ios6 overall (its not perceptable, except for the background switch, that takes 20 seconds to register when it used to be instantaneous) but its still buggy as all hell. I know some of the DJ pro-apps mentioned NOT upgrading as of yet as there were issues with USB Midi input for mixing, only makes sense that it would also affect output as well. Unfortunately I didn't read them before I upgraded and now can't revert. Hopefully its fixed soon.

2. remcoy macrumors newbie

can it pass 24/96 in iOS6?

As far as playing 24/96, have you ever watched this video?
    -might change your mind.

http://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM

3. BuddyRich thread starter macrumors member

Yes ios6 worked fine, as I mentioned in my first post. Its something that ios7 introduced.

Im certainly not an audio-fool, I'll agree that "all things being equal" 16/44 and 24/96 should be more or less audibly indistinguiable by a human ear, but the fact is my 24/96 rips are from vinyl, dvda or sacd which often used a different mix than the often dynamically compressed CDs, especially modern CDs. Running the DR plugin in foobar I can see a dynamic range difference between them and the 16/44 CD rip.

My biggest issue though is that without going and re-encoding everything to work around the issue, anytime I randomly hit a 24/96 or 24/88 track in my music library, I get a grating, stuttering track. Very annoying.

I'm using my iPad as a music-streamer head end and touch control with iPeng, to hook into a DAC/Pre, running to a power amp and speakers. Basically turning it into a Squeezebox Touch. Use my iphone to control (or the ipad itself)....