iPad iOS7 Jailbreak (Instructions and pics)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lloydbm41, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Lloydbm41, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The Evasi0n jailbreak is out and I went ahead and jailbroke my iPad Mini (first gen) running 7.0.4 (in fact they recommend you be on 7.0.4 before jailbreaking). Went very smoothly and only took about 10 minutes total. I highly recommend a backup to both iCloud and to your computer first (just in case - yes common sense, I know.)

Be warned, though. Not very many Cydia apps are compatible yet. I imagine in a couple of weeks, there will be plenty though.
    Warning: Over The Air updates of iOS 7 are known to create an issue and make the jailbreak fail. Some devices are then stuck on the Apple Boot Logo. Until fixed, please restore your device to 7.0.4. with iTunes first.

Should the link be pulled, I have both the signed Zip/.exe files and DMG files depending on if you have a Mac or Windows machine. (The .exe file is for those that don't want to download the .zip file and extract the .exe file. Simply saves you a step.)

Link to my personal files taken from the Ev4si0n website (these are mirrored should you have issues with the Ev4si0n website links: Ev4si0n Jailbreak Download Files

Link to Ev4si0n website files: http://evasi0n.com/

Instructions on how to Jailbreak:
    • 1. Backup your iPad (or other iDevice).
    • 2. Download Evasi0n for your operating system (Windows or Mac - Link above).
    • 3. Open up the Evasi0n app that you downloaded on your PC/Mac.
    • 4. Connect your computer to your iPhone/iPad/iPod running iOS 7.0.4. (**NOTE: If you have passcode lock enabled, go into the Settings app on your device and temporarily disable it in the General —> Passcode Lock section. You can re-enable it after the jailbreak is complete.) Additionally, you may want to turn on Airplane mode to prevent any updates or data-driven apps from interfering with the jailbreak process.
    • 5. Back on your computer, click the Jailbreak button in the Evasi0n app window. It'll take awhile to upload some necessary jailbreak data, and your phone should restart during this process. Wait for Evasi0n to finish this step.
    • 6. As part of the process, Evasi0n installs a temporary jailbreak app on your device. When ready, your computer will prompt you to open it on your iDevice. Simply unlock your device, then tap on the jailbreak app icon (which may not be on your first page. Look for the "Ev4si0n" icon. It'll cause the screen to flash briefly but appear to do nothing. If you look at your computer, however, you'll find the jailbreak process continues. It'll finish in a minute or so.
    • 7. Your device will need to reboot a couple of times. You will see the white 'Kernel Updating', 'Calculating Offsets' and so on come up (this occurs after the black Apple logo boot screen) when the Jailbreak is about finished. See first pic below. When completed, your device will reboot. Once finished, go to where the 'Ev4si0n' icon was and it should now say 'Cydia'. Click on it and for the final time, your device will reboot and load Cydia. You can now unplug your device.
    • 8. Finally, navigate to Cydia and enjoy your new jailbreak!

Attached Files:

2. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I'll wait a little while til the dust settles.

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yeah, probably a good idea. Not very many tweaks available yet anyway. I have explored quite a bit and none of the good tweaks are upgraded yet.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think more in the lines of the JB may steal your data.

5. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

No, that isn't the case. People are throwing this line of FUD out there. This was released early by this team in order to beat GeoHot to the punch and prevent other jailbreak teams from using additional exploits that Apple could patch prior to the 7.1 release.

If you have Chinese set to your default language then Cydia was replaced with the Chinese version of Taig.

Nothing nefarious. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just one team of hackers trying to beat another.

And FYI. If you JB, your data can be stolen from the Cydia store apps. No need to do it with the jailbreak installer. It's the risk you take when you JB and install apps outside the App Store.

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Saurik has updated Cydia today. Looks like tweaks for iOS7 are slowly beginning to roll in as well.

7. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

I gave this a glance and have to say that jailbroken devices look awful (the icons etc).

Is the only reason people go this route because they want to be free of iTunes?

8. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Primarily do it for customizing the look of your device and to make tweaks like say 7 icons in your dock, or have more than 16 apps in a folder, or alter the keyboard . Things like that.

9. xArtx macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't do it anymore, but well done to the boys!!

10. Ann P macrumors 68020

Is it recommended to restore your backup before, OR after jb? I always start fresh but need to keep my data this time.

11. xArtx macrumors 6502a

That would be before, since it's the jailbreak that presents the risk of losing it.

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Personally i will be disabling findmyiphone just incase I need to restore and something glitches.

13. Amiz macrumors regular

Fully backup
    Do a full clean restore
    Jailbreak with evasi0n
    Once done just restore from backup
    Done

Don't download tweaks yet because mobile substrate needs updating.

14. SimsDelt macrumors member

^^^^^ that's exactly how I did mine on a iPhone 5 and it worked great.